This was just one of those things that bothered me...

After putting in all my numbers (using Outlook), every local call I made hade a "1" in front. I got concerned thinking that I was going to have to pay for long distance. Well, the fix is easy...
    First, like many other cities, Atlanta has had a 10 digit phone number system for a while - meaning that you have to dial the area code regardless of it being a local call. But my 8330 kept putting a "1" in front of every number, even the local ones.

From the home screen, press the talk button.
    - With the cursor in the box at the top, press the menu button (left of the scroll wheel)
    - scroll down to "options" and press the wheel
    - scroll down to "smart dialing" and press the wheel
    - scroll down to "national number length" and change that from "10" to "11".
    - press the menu button and scroll to save and press the wheel.

Now since the cell phone doesn't care about a 1 in front for long distance calls, even the long distance calls go through.
    03-17-09 02:09 PM
    Having the 1 in front won't affect anything if you are dialing inside the US. You are making a long distance call reguardless of the 1 if its long distance and a local call if its local. If you travel internationally its nice to have it in there to make your dialing easier (though you'd probably need the plus before that then)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 04:28 PM
    i have a Curve and can't figure out that when i have the number in for Vancouver with a 1 in front .. and then in vancouver, it won't work unless i punch in all the numbers again. is there not a way to overcome this ?????
    03-27-09 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD