From a previous thread, I had trouble with my email, called Sprint, long story short, the customer service rep told me to remove my battery at least once a week or more.

I realize that rebooting would help some, but should you really have to remove your battery once a week to do this?

Do you guys do this? Is this normal?
    12-12-08 08:18 PM
    Im surprised they didnt mention resending your service books, if you have issues with sending/receiving email, thats the first go-to action, and even on my TMO bis, when I log on, it even states there

"if you are having issues sending/receiving email..."
    12-12-08 08:20 PM
    Im surprised they didnt mention resending your service books, if you have issues with sending/receiving email, thats the first go-to action, and even on my TMO bis, when I log on, it even states there

"if you are having issues sending/receiving email..."

Well I couldn't resend my service books, couldn't get online, email, IM, anything.

After removing my battery everything works.

My question was "Is it normal to have to remove your battery weekly, and do you guys do this?"
    12-12-08 08:23 PM
    yes do it...they say it is good for the phone and the battery!
    12-12-08 08:26 PM
    Well, you had originally said you had trouble with your email, no mention of internet.

Yes, you can remove the battery if you like, its like a reset for the phone as you would reboot your pc, frees up memory etc.

I saw what your question was.
    12-12-08 08:26 PM
    So do you (or other long time BB users) remove your battery every week?
    12-12-08 08:29 PM
    I remove it when I have an issue service books wont fix, or after installing certain apps, it doesnt hurt it.
    12-12-08 08:31 PM
    So do you (or other long time BB users) remove your battery every week?
    I used to remove it once a week automatically but I read that constantly doing that is may not be good for my BlackBerry so I just reset when needed.
    12-12-08 08:34 PM
    Nope. I only pull my battery if my BB locks up. I do use a program like Quick Pull or Soft Reset every couple of days to free up memory. However, it won't hurt your BB to pull the battery once a week.

QuickPull | Personal Productivity BlackBerry Software

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 08:38 PM
    No never. I had 2 different curves and 2 BB's before the curves and now a BOLD. I ONLY remove the battery if and when it locks up, which for me is virtually never. But I second the notion that it certainly will not hurt.
    12-12-08 08:52 PM
    I haven't pulled my battery or done a reset of any kind in 2
    months or more. I used to do this regularly but have found it
    to be unnecessary unless the phone completely locks up.
    12-12-08 09:01 PM
    For me, I do a soft reset (alt-Rshift-del) about once a week. Seems to keep my berry happy. Berry happy, lol.
    12-12-08 09:15 PM
    Yes I Do. Seems My Standby Key Stops Working Almost Weekly.
    12-12-08 09:25 PM
    I give my Curve the olde 3 finger salute about once or twice a week and have not pulled the battery in quite a while. I do not see how pulling the battery helps the battery in any way (not saying it hurts it either).
    12-12-08 10:00 PM
    Every week? Hahahaha. Try every day or two....

12-13-08 12:42 AM
    I do it every 4th day or so, not that I keep track, it just ends up being not quite a week, but when I think about it. This is a "controversial" issue. Some people think it's a waste of time. I say, it's only a few minutes and it can't hurt anything. If a person is worried about being without a phone for 5 minutes, pull it before you get in the shower. By the time you're done you'll be back up and runnin
    12-13-08 01:00 AM
    Doing a soft-reset should be all you need to do as 'maintenance' on your phone...pulling your battery could lead to the pins becoming lose from over usage
    12-13-08 01:08 AM
    Battery pull ftw

12-13-08 06:13 AM
    According to Kevin, the founder of CrackBerry, a battery pull is never necessary. In fact, on occasion, a battery pull will actually toast your device - toast as in destroyed. I don't know if I believe it is never necessary, but I do not do it except when I absolutely have to.

I recommend one does a reset if you are simply releasing file free memory. Do a hard reset when you are trying to solve a problem. I have found I rarely need to do a battery pull -- and I only pull the battery when my device freezes up, a very rare thing. To reset, push alt> right shift> delete. To do a hard reset, push alt> right shift> delete a second time just as your screen lights up after the first reset.

With your curve, check your file free memory option> status, or press alt> left shift> H every so often. When it gets low, say 10 to 12 mb, go ahead and do a reset, and check it again. You'll get a feel for how often you need to do this -- and if you need to do a hard reset because the soft doesn't release as much as you think it should. Also clear your browser's cache when you reset. While you are in your browser, press your menu key> click options> select cache operations> click clear cache, press back.

As part of monitoring your memory, please follow the link below and go through the guide and do what you feel comfortable doing to free up memory and reduce how often you need to do anything to control your file free number. Also take a look at your apps and delete anything you do not use.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot I was on wap and the link wasn't there lol .

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Last edited by exelant; 12-13-08 at 09:00 AM.
    12-13-08 06:38 AM
    There is no link sir....
    12-13-08 07:14 AM
    What does a hard reset clear over the soft?
    12-13-08 07:54 AM
    There is no link sir....
    There is a link in my sig: Memory Optimization Procedure
    12-13-08 08:02 AM
    Should pull as others said at least weekly. It frees up memory and lend to the overall health of your blackberry
    12-13-08 08:16 AM
    I pull if it locks up and I have no keyboard. Soft reset when needed. Probably once or twice weekly.
    12-13-08 08:19 AM
    What does a hard reset clear over the soft?
    Good question, and I do not know. I watch the results after both and notice only a slight difference. I will look for Kevin's posts about batt pulls. To each his own and I wouldn't argue with anyone about it, but those who do pull their batteries need to be aware that it can and has ruined some blackberries. It is rare so they should be OK, but do it with eyes open and aware of all possibilities.
    12-13-08 09:04 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD