My old Curve 8310 won't hold a battery charge for longer than 2 hours. New battery, well-used BB, probably just at the end of it's life......?

Anyway, someone I know had a spare Curve 8310 kicking around and let me have it as a replacement. I thought I'd used the 'Device Switch Wizard' to get the replacement working and it backed up the old BB fine but while it was doing it's thing to the new device it hung and gave me a 'fatal error' message (BB Desktop, not Windows) and now the replacement device seems to have bricked. The screen is blank, none of the buttons work and all I get is the red LED flashing (double flashes) about every 3 seconds.

I've tried hard reset, ALT-SHIFT-DEL, battery out and plug-in the mains etc. and nothing gets a response. It just sits there, flashing.

So, any of you folks have any ideas how to bring it back? It had been factory reset so there's no data to lose, I just want it back to the beginning.
    08-20-09 06:34 PM
    Search the forums for how to revive a bricked BB. Search is your best friend.
    08-20-09 07:03 PM
    The easiest way to fix that is generally going to be to reload the device OS... call your carrier, get the link to their BB downloads page for device software and reload it through desktop manager.
    08-20-09 07:47 PM
    Jackbox - I have searched, I can find nothing there to help with my situation.

AaronWasHere - I can't do anything through Desktop Manager because it won't recognise the device.

My issue is that when I plug the BB into my PC I get a 'unrecognised USB device' message and in Desktop Mgr I get nothing, no PIN number, nothing. That being the case, how do I get anything done?
    08-21-09 03:33 AM
    Here's the two threads that will get your OS back on your new BB. One of them should work:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 03:37 AM
    I have revived my BB several times using the above procedures. You just have to keep trying until you get the PIN detected by DM.

I suggest using DM 4.5 or 4.6, and when you get the OS reloaded on your BB, do a selective restore using the Advanced tab in Backup/Restore. Only restore the necessary MINIMUM databases like Address Book, Messages, and email.

08-21-09 03:42 AM
    Xliderider is correct. He gave you the link to the best sources of information. Good luck

08-21-09 10:41 AM
    Okay I've managed to get the AppLoader to recognise it as a BB at long last, but I can't find the OS in .alx or .ali format that it's asking for. I've used universal extractor to extract all the files from the Vodafone OS .exe file but it's not obvious which - if any - will run an install and there's tons of them. Anyone know where I can locate it?
    08-21-09 02:41 PM
    Rob, did you download an OS and install it on your PC?

You don't need to point Apploader to any .alx or .ali file, it will know where to look for the OS software.
    08-21-09 03:09 PM
    The easiest way to fix that is generally going to be to reload the device OS... call your carrier, get the link to their BB downloads page for device software and reload it through desktop manager.
    Agreed. Mine bricked a few times when I first updated it to OS 4.5. It simply took reloading the OS to get it to work.
    08-21-09 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD