Just curious if I'm at risk of damaging my BB if I use my old razr chargers on it. The standard plug in kind and the car charger are both USB. I've charged it a few times with the razr plugs with no problems, but I dont want to push my luck.

Is this something I can afford to be stingy on? :P
    05-24-08 05:44 AM
    Yup, I used a razr charger on my berry a few days ago....gotta love USB style plugs!!!
    05-24-08 06:12 AM
    Hi & welcome to CB!

I keep a motorola charger at work for topping up when needed.
    05-24-08 06:21 AM
    My wife has a razr. I have been using her charger on my 8310 for over a year with no problems. My bb charger will NOT work on her razor though. it has something to do with an extra metal connector in the usb plug.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-08 06:39 AM
    It should be alright to use the moto charger. That is the one alltel sold me when I got my bb. They said that they did not stock the bb card cord??????????
    05-24-08 08:37 AM
    I was always told that they don't work..but then I compared plugs and they are the same to me...Verizon sales people are sneaky
    05-24-08 08:43 AM
    when i bought my bb curve at AT&T she said the razr charger works on the bb but the bb charger doesn't work on the razr. the car charger works the same too. i've used my charger for months and works great. saved a bundle.
    05-24-08 08:53 AM
    I use my moto charger all the time with no issue! I went to At&t yesterday and needed a car charger and on the package it said for Blackerry & Motorola! Worked great!

05-24-08 08:53 AM
    I use my tom tom charger for my bb and vice versa.

05-24-08 09:07 AM
    As others have mentioned, I have also used my Razr wall and car chargers without issues.

In addition, when USB'd, I get a message saying charging power insufficient. The two computers I have tried it on we're done using the front ports. I suspect the rear ports are the ones that put out the 500mV.

Have not tried it on a laptop yet. I think all laptop USB ports put out the 500mV.

05-24-08 09:23 AM
    I use my moto charger all the time with no issue! I went to At&t yesterday and needed a car charger and on the package it said for Blackerry & Motorola!

Excellent point!
    Until now I forgot how many times I have seen packages labeled that way. But you're right.
    05-24-08 09:29 AM
    lol i guess im guilty too stealing my lil sisters razr charger
    05-24-08 09:41 AM
    A friend gave me a motorola car charger and it works fine. No probs.

05-24-08 09:42 AM
    I've used mini usb's from other devices and it seems to effect the battery life of my curve. For instance half way through the day my battery will be at 55 percent instead of 80 or 85. Once I do a battery pull and re-charge with my BB charger all is normal again. I don't get it but its happened multiple times.
    Anybody else experience this?

05-24-08 11:40 AM
    Only thing I'd watch is that the Motorola chargers are rated at 5 vdc output. Your Blackberry has a 7.4 volt battery. If your only putting 5 volts to it, are you really fully charging it ? No. You may be missing out on some extra battery time. In order for a charger to charge any battery, fully, even in your car, it has to have an output voltage higher than the battery voltage rating. I don't see how a 5 volt charger, regardless of amperage, can fully charge a 7.4 volt battery. Maybe that's the reason for a lot of battery problems I'm reading about. That's why I'm waiting to see what the actual rating (output) of the charger from the manufacturer is if anyone has that info available, maybe it would answer some questions.
    UPDATE: Don't remember what site I looked at besides this one for battery replacement but it listed 7.4 as voltage on blackberry battery, WRONG !! it's 3.7 , same a krazr etc, thus explains why the chargers will work just fine. SORRY, hope I didn't make anyone hit the panic button.
    Last edited by Mike.B; 06-01-08 at 08:24 AM.
    05-31-08 06:59 PM
    Well I wanted to revise my findings.

The moto charger does work ...... but the BB charger works much better and quicker.

$0.02
    05-31-08 08:06 PM
    i honestly wouldn't do it. because it can cause the battery to drain faster. So that means the battery will not last as long. i work for AT&T Device support Center and customers always ask me if its ok to use the motorola charger to charge the phone. At my work i get a lot of customers who come in with battery problems and its because they are not using the BB charger. i don't know why. when they bought the phone they should have received a BB charger. Just my two cents
    05-31-08 08:14 PM
    u should be fine.

05-31-08 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD