ok, so i have had my Curve 8310 for a few weeks now.

this shutting down at random started a couple days after i got it. but it might only do it once or so a week.

i have never had it shut down when i was awake or aware of the phone or using the phone.

but it had shutdown in the middle of the night and only once when i left it on charge over night (last night).

the only real concern i have is that when it shuts down randomly i cant turn it back on. i have to do a battery pull to make it come back on. is this a standby mode i am not aware of? is there a certain button to press to turn the screen back on? for ex.... i wake up go to look at my messages and notice my phone is "off" i try to press the power and standby button and no luck. so i pull the battery out for a few seconds and put it back in and i get the hourglass. it will load for a minute or two then kick back on. i find this very strange.

is this a problem with Blackberry? i just find it weird it wont let me turn the phone back on without doing a battery pull.

if this is a problem with my phone, i don't have insurance but is there a 30-day warranty? (i will only be calling my phone carrier [AT&T] if this is a big concern.)

Thanks,
    -Alex

PS- i have checked the settings for "Auto On/Off" and both Weekday and Weekend are disabled.
    12-02-08 09:31 AM
    Return it to AT&T. I had the same issue just about a week ago. They exchanged my phone and transferred over all my info. You will however have to redo all your settings again.
    12-02-08 10:20 AM
    I often hold the power/red phone key down until the device says it is shutting down, and then plug it in for the night. When I get up, all I need to do to turn it on is push and release the power/red key. When not in use for a time, the device screen will go dark, in that case, all I need to do is push the space bar to turn it back on. You may just need to push the space bar to come out of the idle mode.

Your startup after a battery pull seems normal. You could try a reset to see if your keyboard is active, push your alt-right shift-delete keys at the same time and see if it comes back on and runs through the startup sequence. You could try to turn off the Automatically dim back-light setting in options-screen keyboard. I don't know if that will help, lol, just trying stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 10:31 AM
    Return it to AT&T. I had the same issue just about a week ago. They exchanged my phone and transferred over all my info. You will however have to redo all your settings again.
    i do not have insurance. does that matter? i believe i have had my phone for less than 30 days. is there a 30-day warranty?

Thanks,
    -Alex
    12-02-08 12:13 PM
    bump.

Thanks,
    -Alex
    12-03-08 09:32 PM
    I had a similar problem, phone was shutting down during a call, and hourglass was show up after pulling battery or plugging into a power source. T-Mobile provided a replacement phone (front part only, used existing battery and back cover). Problem remained. Tried a replacement battery and the phone is back to normal and working great.
    12-12-08 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD