I know that using the pre-installed IM apps count against SMS allottment, so I am looking for an alternative. I really like what I hear about JiveTalk, but i am trying to avoid paying for an app unless i have to.
    I just downloaded Ramble and it looks a lot like the pre-installed AIM client; I am assuming the only real benefit of this (not that it isn't a great benefit) is that the IMs do not count against SMS allottment

Is there a "prettier" free AIM client out there?

Also, do you know if gchat (pre-installed on the 8320) counts against SMS allottment, i didn't think it did, but the ppl at Tmo BB support weren't sure --- if so, is there a free dl anywhere that I can use gchat via Data plan instead of SMS?

TIA!
    11-05-07 03:48 PM
    I think Ramble is the best of the freebies but if you IM ALOT I would just pay for Jivetalk and get it over with!
    11-05-07 04:30 PM
    what's wrong with the OZ AIM client?
    11-05-07 04:31 PM
    what about the gchat client? does it count against SMS?
    11-05-07 04:47 PM
    if you are talking about the one that comes with the phone, the problem with that one is IMs count against SMS alottment, so unless you have unlimited SMS text plan......
    11-05-07 04:49 PM
    I'm a newbie also but, i was under the impression that OZ client is transfered against your SMS total. It's not transfered as data like JiveTalk.
    11-05-07 04:50 PM
    it is... that is why i am trying to get rid of it. I downloaded Ramble which solves that problem for AIM.... though it still isn't as "pretty" as jivetalk

does anyone know if the gchat app that is pre-installed on Tmo8320 counts against SMS? i heard there is a dl on RIM website for gchat that does not count against SMS, but it looks the same as the one i already have... makes me wonder if its any different. The folks at BB support at Tmo didn't have an answer as to whether or not gchat counts against SMS
    11-05-07 04:54 PM
    You are a little confused here. If you have the 8320 from T-Mobile like your profile says, then the built-in IM clients that came on the device are the native IM clients from RIM that use your DATA.

OZ Messenger is on all older model T-Mobile BB's and it does use your SMS allowance.
    11-05-07 05:13 PM
    I'd like to think that's true (that it uses DATA not SMS) but when I called BBsupport at Tmo they said that the pre-installed AIM, yahoo, ICQ, etc count against SMS, not DATA........
    11-05-07 05:19 PM
    They are wrong, trust me. Most of them, not all, really don't know squat about BB's. They just read from a computer screen and tell you what it says. Do some searching on this forum, and other BB forums, and you will get the same answer from the experienced users.
    11-05-07 05:27 PM
    Not all carriers sell their BB's with IM Clients installed. VZW for example doesnt have any so I had to dl a third party app for this!
    11-05-07 05:36 PM
    Ill look into this, but if it is the case, then what's the benefit of ramble?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-07 05:36 PM
    There is no benefit to Ramble, it is not that great at all. The built-in AIM client is far better. If you are really worried, which you shouldn't be, then just get JiveTalk. For $29.95 it is a great investment!
    11-05-07 05:40 PM
    11-05-07 06:01 PM
    Oh my! I using preload IM clients on the little device. My billing account billed me, There is zero charge for that. therfore preload IM clients use data period!

Just dial #MSG# on your BB, its free, not charge you!
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 11-05-07 at 08:55 PM.
    11-05-07 08:47 PM
    Oh my! I using preload IM clients on the little device. My billing account billed me, There is zero charge for that. therfore preload IM clients use data period!

Just dial #MSG# on your BB, its free, not charge you!
    Oh my! But that is only true on the 8320 from TMobile. JiveTalk is still the best, IMO.
    11-05-07 10:03 PM
    Oh My! But that is only true on the 8320 from TMobile. The other carrier's preloaded apps are SMS and cost extra from the data plan.
    11-05-07 10:04 PM
    Wow, JiveTalk just solves all problems. If you love your BB and think you'll have it for a while then $1.66/mth for a year is not a bad investment for JiveTalk (19.95/12) or if you use the coupon code $1.23/mth. If you feel as though you will never leave the BB system i recommend that you buy the transferable version for $29.95 or $2.50/mth. I just estimated for one year, but remember it is just a one-time payment. BTW does the coupon work with this one too John Clark?
    11-06-07 04:02 AM
    i think i may spring for it..... i called Tmo again at BB support and again I was told preloaded IM clients charge against SMS..... which makes sense b/c i dont think i sent 600 texts last month (so it must have included my IMs)
    11-07-07 09:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD