Hey Everyone,

Got a quick question for you.

What is the difference in using the "Standby/Mute" button function (mute button on top of 8330 which makes your BB say "entering standby mode - press mute key to exit standby) versus actually using the keyboard lock (where the little padlock shows up on the screen, and you must use the star/call keys to unlock it)?

I mean, do they both achieve the same purpose? They both lock the keypad. But does the "standby" mode do anything different?

Just curious because I usually just hit the mute key rather than locking the BB. Is this okay to do on a regular basis, several times throughout the day? Or should I just be using the "lock" function?

Thanks!!!!

08-04-09 04:12 PM
    Standby Mode uses less battery power than just locking the keypad.
    08-04-09 04:18 PM
    Yes, they do achieve the same purposes but I personally use the Standby feature because it's much easier and faster to unlock than the Lock feature. I put my BB on standby mode every time I'm done using it at the moment and I haven't run into any problems with it...
    08-04-09 04:18 PM
    Yes, they do achieve the same purposes but I personally use the Standby feature because it's much easier and faster to unlock than the Lock feature. I put my BB on standby mode every time I'm done using it at the moment and I haven't run into any problems with it...
    X2, I use the standby as well and havent had a problem yet.
    08-04-09 04:21 PM
    The lock feature can be set to use a password instead of the #call. It is under the secutity settings. I don't know about you, but the 300 contacts I've got would be pretty unhappy if my phone was lost/stolen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 04:27 PM
    The lock feature can be set to use a password instead of the #call. It is under the secutity settings. I don't know about you, but the 300 contacts I've got would be pretty unhappy if my phone was lost/stolen.

That works too if you are actually trying to LOCK your phone. But what I got from the OP was that he just wants to lock the keyboard from accidentally calling someone or opening an app.
    08-04-09 04:51 PM
    xliderider has it right. The standby key is like "sleep mode" for your BB. It consumes less battery personally I use the ree BEIKS keyboard locker and the standby mode. That way If for some reason I forget my keyboard will auto-lock

08-04-09 04:57 PM
    is there a way I can set it so that when i put my curve in the holster, it goes on standby mode and not into lock mode?
    08-04-09 08:24 PM
    I think you can just disable the "lock" function and placing the phone in a OEM holster will put it in standbye with the help off the magnet.

And I understood that the OP was looking to lock the keyboard, I was suggesting that if you make the effort to lock it than go the extra effort to protect it.

08-04-09 10:01 PM
    I actually use the lock and standby function together. After you lock your bb, you can still have the standby function enabled. This way you have double protection .

I actually put the lock on one of as one of my convenience keys. Just makes everything easier to access.

08-04-09 10:11 PM
    Also, if you use the lock function as opposed to the standby, your phone can make the accidental 911 **** dial, which used to happen to my buddy all the time on his 8700. With standby, there is no chance of the cops magically showing up at your location on accident because your **** decided to drop them a line.

Needless to say, I use standby...

08-04-09 10:45 PM
    Also if you put a password on in the options and you put it in standby it locks it too. Its really annoying actually...

08-04-09 11:16 PM
    I actually use the lock and standby function together. After you lock your bb, you can still have the standby function enabled. This way you have double protection .

I actually put the lock on one of as one of my convenience keys. Just makes everything easier to access.

Same! I made the lock my right convenience key and after I lock it I usually put it in standby to save battery! My brother thinks I'm crazy to do both but it works for me (:

08-04-09 11:31 PM
    Not that it matters but I assigned the voice command button on the left side as the lock key, I've had it set like this since I received my BB and I've never had a problem, while stand by is effective in the same purpose and better in that it saves battery power, for me its much more of a convenience just to push the button that stands out predominantly on the side as opposed to trying and successfully press the mute/standby button which is slightly receded in the molding

08-05-09 02:15 AM
    When I put my phone in my holster and the screen goes dark because of the magnet, is my phone in lock mode or standby mode?
    08-05-09 04:09 PM
    YA but when your phone is on standby, then you dont receive any calls or text messages right? So whats the point of putting it in standby mode?
    08-05-09 05:30 PM
    When your phone is on standby you DO receive calls and texts!
    08-05-09 06:48 PM
    what? really?
    I put my phone on standby mode (pressing the mute button on the top) and then after 2 minutes I called my phone and it directly went to voicemail.
    08-05-09 08:27 PM
    what? really?
    I put my phone on standby mode (pressing the mute button on the top) and then after 2 minutes I called my phone and it directly went to voicemail.
    Whaaaat??? Lemme test that out..
    08-05-09 08:41 PM
    ok. Hold up

So when I tried it out the other time, it didnt work but now it did. hmm interesting!

It works now and based on other people, they said it saves battery life big time. So i think im gonna put it on standby mode every singly time!
    08-05-09 09:00 PM
    ok. Hold up

So when I tried it out the other time, it didnt work but now it did. hmm interesting!

It works now and based on other people, they said it saves battery life big time. So i think im gonna put it on standby mode every singly time!
    Perhaps you had no signal last time. Those strange things always seem to happen when you are testing something out!
    08-06-09 10:15 AM
    I usually use the "Standby" mode instead of "Lock", but one situation where I've noticed you must use lock is when running certain applications. For instance, I like to listen to Pandora, but don't want to accidentally call someone from my pocket. In that situation the keyboard lock works, but standby stops Pandora.
    08-07-09 03:06 PM
    How can you use lock and standby at the same time? I mean if you put it in standby, doesn't it automatically lock the keyboard?
    01-05-10 08:56 PM
    Stand by you have to press the mute key or maybe hold the red phone button for a few secs to get it out of stand by... loc function you have to press a couple of keys to get it to unlock...
    01-05-10 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD