Do I have to have a data plan to use it? If not, does it connect to the internet at all? I'm sure it does, but I was keeping my fingers crossed that it didn't use the internet, lol. I'm going into panic mode because I have a doctors appt. in 2 hours, and I have no idea how to get there. I'm regretting not getting that data plan now!
    07-11-08 10:05 AM
    yes, you need a data plan. mapping requires data to be pulled from the internet as complete maps are not stored locally on the device.
    07-11-08 10:16 AM
    Just to be clear - you do not need to connect to the internet or have a dataplan to use the GPS. You DO need to connect to the internet if you wish to download maps, driving directions, etc. You can activate the GPS and get your current location without connecting to the internet but all of the applications (that I've tried anyway) that utilize the GPS do require a connection. Someday hopefully, someone will come out with a mapping application that would allow you to download maps to your memory chip via your PC and then use the GPS in the Curve without having to go on-line.
    07-11-08 10:21 AM
    Ugh, I figured. Thanks!
    07-11-08 10:25 AM
    Call AT&T and set up the data plan.
    07-11-08 10:43 AM
    While your at AT&T set up Telenav! 10 routes a month for 5 bucks isn't bad or unlimited for 10 bucks.
    Good luck on that appointment!
    07-11-08 11:54 AM
    Do I have to have a data plan to use it? If not, does it connect to the internet at all? I'm sure it does, but I was keeping my fingers crossed that it didn't use the internet, lol. I'm going into panic mode because I have a doctors appt. in 2 hours, and I have no idea how to get there. I'm regretting not getting that data plan now!
    Sometimes we love to complicate our lives with technology. As part of my job, I work with GPS so, I know how to use a GPS, besides I have a data plan but....

If I had a doctor appoitment in 2 hours and didn't know how to get there, I would just call the office and ask for directions.

I don't want to sound mean... Some times, the old way is just easier and faster. ...and you don't need a data plan.
    07-13-08 07:12 PM
    You can also log into the telenav website and set up the gps there for $10 a month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-08 08:56 PM
    Sometimes we love to complicate our lives with technology. As part of my job, I work with GPS so, I know how to use a GPS, besides I have a data plan but....

If I had a doctor appoitment in 2 hours and didn't know how to get there, I would just call the office and ask for directions.

I don't want to sound mean... Some times, the old way is just easier and faster. ...and you don't need a data plan.
    Sound like the 'Good 'ole Days' when you actually do talk to somebody.
    07-13-08 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD