hi all,

i've been thinking about getting a blackberry 8320, but i have a few questions for the experts before i take the plunge.

my carrier is fido, and i'm locked with them for 2 years. fido has options for unlimited browsing and email, but i can't use them unless i buy a phone that fido sells.

i know that wifi works for browsing, but can you use it to also recieve emails, and for instant messaging programs? and can you install voip programs into the blackberry so that you can make voip calls?

thanks!
    04-19-08 05:42 PM
    can you use it to also recieve emails, and for instant messaging programs?

Yes, you can.

and can you install voip programs into the blackberry so that you can make voip calls?

I'm not aware of VOIP programs for the blackberry but I'm sure there is something out there.
    04-19-08 05:59 PM
    The service Fido provides needs to be a "Blackberry" plan in order to send/receive emails and browse using Blackberries network. Also you need to get it unlocked to use on Fido (as long as they are GSM)

If it's a regular data plan (non-blackberry), you can still access the internet and get email, but it won't be push. You will have to use the browser to manually go the your emails website (example: mail.yahoo.com)
    04-19-08 07:16 PM
    ok, so i won't get instant email, not a problem.

thanks for your help guys!
    04-19-08 07:44 PM
    Hi and welcome.
    04-19-08 10:10 PM
    Welcome kbye!
    04-19-08 10:13 PM
    Welcome to CB.
    04-20-08 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD