Hello all! Well I'm new to the entire Black/CrackBerry world and I have several questions, please advise me! First, are the ringtones on CrackBerry truly free? Am I going to get charged in any way? I have fallen vitcim to one of those scam sites before and acquired a $25 monthly "premium" service charge. Also, how do I get my main screen to light up when I receive messages? It lights up for an incoming call but not a message. Also, is there any way I can get it to tell me who's calling when connected to the bluetooth headset? Not on the caller ID, can it tell me in the headset?! Please help me, I'm quite confused...
    04-01-09 01:51 PM
    On CrackBerry, if the ringtone says it's free, I believe that it's free. I've never downloaded any from this site, I use mytinyphone.com, but this isn't really one of the scamming sites that you refer to, so you shouldn't have any problems!

Next, unfortunately you cannot get your screen to light up whenever you get a message, there is no option for that. All you get is the little LED light at the top corner that will blink for up to 15 minutes if you have a message... sorry!

And finally, there is no way for your bluetooth headset to read off a contact name whenever you recieve a call, and this isn't a BlackBerry issue. I was reading on a seperate thread with this same question, and it turns out that no one knows of a headset that will do this. I think they were saying that the BlueAnt headset will say "incoming call from..." and lists the number, but doesn't match it with a name from your address book and read off the name. But it sure would be cool wouldn't it!

Hope this all helps, welcome to CrackBerry!
    04-01-09 01:57 PM
    hello.. the ringtones here are very free.. data charges apply though, if you have unlimited data, you are good to go. to get the screen to light up, you need to buy an app that does that like tellme or peekawho (sp?). they seel that in the crackberry store. the issue with the bluetooth is a little more difficult.. there isnt an app for that, but i have heard of some blueooth headsets that do that, but im not sure which ones.. maybe someone else could point you in the right direction with that.. and welcome to crackberry!
    Last edited by kwmksavage; 04-01-09 at 02:05 PM.
    04-01-09 01:57 PM
    Ringtones are definitely free.
    04-01-09 02:02 PM
    And for more free ringtones, try Zedge.net or Myxer. Zedge has over 200k and I have about 300 of them. (I share a lot!)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 02:04 PM
    And for more free ringtones, try Zedge.net or Myxer. Zedge has over 200k and I have about 300 of them. (I share a lot!)

Zedge rocks and free of course, there is never a reason to pay for ringtones.
    04-01-09 02:12 PM
    Hey it's B again! Thank you all for the very quick replies! I'm SO stoked about my BB and I love it. I'm just new and kinda confused. You guys helped me iron out things though, and it's much appreciated. Thanks also for the new site suggestions, I'll have to check them out. Thanks to everyone who took time to help me. Have a great day!
    04-01-09 02:20 PM
    no prob.. the best advice i can give is to get a good feel for this site, any question you could ever have is here. and it doesnt hurt that there are a lot of people here to help.
    04-01-09 02:24 PM
    Alright, now I have more questions. How do I type in a URL on the browser? Can I change the color of the trackball? What is your recommendation on screen protector? And, what are some more "necessities" for the Curve? Thanks so much for helpin me out!
    04-01-09 02:30 PM
    in the browser, hit the menu button and click on goto. you can change the trackball, but i would get used to the device first, there are a bunch of threads in this area about trackball changing.. i just ordered a BSE (best skin ever) ive heard they are the best and they are at a great price point. my only neccessaties are silicon gel skins, and a unlimited data plan
    04-01-09 02:34 PM
    Thanks. I dunno what I was doin earlier, but I couldn't figure it out. I went from a basic Samsung slider, to the Curve, so this is another world for me. I dunno anything about the trackball colors, I've just seen others with different colors. I've got a silicone case in the mail, on the way. I'm excited for it to get here, any day now.
    04-01-09 02:41 PM
    The most successful colored trackballs seem to be those that are using fabric dye. Some are using high quality permanent markers with some success, but the have been quality issues with some of the premade colored versions.

Protection is a subjecy I recommend you read up on, BestSkinsEver, InvisibleShield, and Ghost Armor are popular skins, various cases, pouches, and silicone skins abound.

Type in urls just like you would on your computer.

04-01-09 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD