Hello All,

I'm headed to Hong Kong and will be utilizing a company phone. I would still like to use my BB Curve 8310 for taking pics and for my music but I don't want to get charged for roaming or any incoming txt msgs. Is there anything I can do to only allow for the use of those functions without getting charged for roaming? I called BB support at AT&T and they said I would have to temporarily stop my service and restart it when I get back...of course for a fee. I asked about turning off the Mobile Network Connection while I'm there but they said I would still get charged for roaming. Is that true? How would they know I'm there if the connection is turned off? Is there anything I can do?

Any assistance is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
    05-12-09 06:09 AM
    maybe you should ask your provider to unlock your phone for you, should you can buy a local sim when you are in HK, you won't receive txt and email unless you pay roaming fee
    05-12-09 06:15 AM
    It would seem that the only roaming charges could be incurred if you used service. If you're not making any calls etc.how could there be any roamong charges?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 06:16 AM
    It would seem that the only roaming charges could be incurred if you used service. If you're not making any calls etc.how could there be any roamong charges?

You would incure in roaming charges the moment you recive a text msg or an email. What you can do is turn off all network connections and thus your phone is only good for games/pictures/calander and adressbook.

Honestly I would just leave the phone at home and use a digi cam anyways. After all most digi cams are 7.0 mp now adays anyways and the 8830 is 3.0mp.

05-12-09 06:44 AM
    You would incure in roaming charges the moment you recive a text msg or an email. What you can do is turn off all network connections and thus your phone is only good for games/pictures/calander and adressbook.

Honestly I would just leave the phone at home and use a digi cam anyways. After all most digi cams are 7.0 mp now adays anyways and the 8830 is 3.0mp.

That's what I thought but when I asked about turning off the connections, they said I would still get charged roaming but I didn't see how. I will have my digital camera but still would like to bring my BB for music and quick photos. Thanks for the feedback.
    05-12-09 06:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD