I'm selling a Curve that was used on AT&T and the guy I'm trying to sell it to uses Sprint and wants the ESN number to make sure its clear. Is it safe to give it to him or is it possible that he can steal the ESN and use it for his own purposes?
    04-30-09 09:20 PM
    This might technically be the wrong forum to put it in but its just a simple question about ESN #s anyway
    04-30-09 09:25 PM
    If it's the 8310, I believe that device is just a GSM phone - if that's the case, it won't activate on Sprint - as it's a CDMA network.

Apart from that, Sprint used to (2 years ago when I had service with them) have a policy whereby if the ESN was not in their database, they wouldn't activate the phone. In other words, they would only activate a Sprint Phone on their network. (Someone please correct me if this is no longer their policy).

No - he can't use the ESN for any malicious or other purposes. It is common practice for a buyer to request the ESN to ensure he isn't been sold a stolen phone.
    04-30-09 09:28 PM
    Ahh okay thanks for the info on the ESN. I think it is a 8310 though, so it looks like it wont' be able to work for him anyway. Are you sure about that?
    04-30-09 09:40 PM
    The ESN is the same as a vehicles' VIN number.

If you want to purchase a phone, don't ever be afraid to ask for the ESN/MEID so you can run a block check on it.

If the seller has a problem with that, move on to another seller, and don't risk getting a handset you'll never be able to, or have a nightmare trying to activate.

Same as a car/MC/watercraft/etc - get the VIN and do a CarFax on it.
    04-30-09 10:24 PM
    if its the 8310 or for that matter, ANY GSM phone, sprint wont/cant actiavate it on there network...
    04-30-09 11:56 PM
    For those who asked, unlike some of the other CDMA providers, yes, Sprint's policy of non-activation is still in effect. Sprint absolutely will not activate phones with ESNs or MEIDs that were not allotted to Sprint by the manufacturers. Theoretically one might be able to get around it by cloning a Sprint ESN to a non Sprint phone, but due to the ESN being matched in Sprint's DB to the exact model of the phone, this could cause problems depending on how much of the server side programming depends on it expecting a certain type of phone... I wouldn't try it.
    05-01-09 07:56 AM
    For those who asked, unlike some of the other CDMA providers, yes, Sprint's policy of non-activation is still in effect. Sprint absolutely will not activate phones with ESNs or MEIDs that were not allotted to Sprint by the manufacturers. Theoretically one might be able to get around it by cloning a Sprint ESN to a non Sprint phone, but due to the ESN being matched in Sprint's DB to the exact model of the phone, this could cause problems depending on how much of the server side programming depends on it expecting a certain type of phone... I wouldn't try it.
    This is the nice thing about CDMA. Cloning is almost impossible and OP the was really asking if he can give it out if some one asks prior to a purchase of a used device. This shuold be common practice, if I ever go to buy a used device and the seller will not give that number to see if it is not a stolen/lost list, I will not buy from them.

I think the policy of which you speak. is also the same for VZW, until open development kicks in
    05-01-09 08:03 AM
    Ahh okay thanks for the info on the ESN. I think it is a 8310 though, so it looks like it wont' be able to work for him anyway. Are you sure about that?
    Absolutely, the devices' networks are wholly incompatible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 08:07 AM
    This is the nice thing about CDMA. Cloning is almost impossible and OP the was really asking if he can give it out if some one asks prior to a purchase of a used device. This shuold be common practice, if I ever go to buy a used device and the seller will not give that number to see if it is not a stolen/lost list, I will not buy from them.

I think the policy of which you speak. is also the same for VZW, until open development kicks in
    it's tough, but not impossible, you can re-write a radio's ESN on CDMA phones if you have the right software... but unless the phone is the exact same model, you may have issues due to the provider thinking you're using a different phone than you are.
    05-03-09 01:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD