I have a BB Curve Currently running Os 4.2. I'd like to upgrade to 4.5, but haven't because of fear of killing my BB. I've seen Beta releases, and all the problems that come with them. However, RIM has a public release for download on TIM Italy. Will this cause any problems for my AT&T BB??? Will everything work??
    08-16-08 07:30 PM
    In a couple of minutes a bunch of people with not a lot of experience are going to post that it is a piece of cake, no problems and for you to go ahead and do it. I'll bet that if you have problems, many of them will not know enough to help you recover your berry. Luckily for you there are a bunch of us here watching the forum for people in trouble, and we will help you.

I'm not going to tell anyone who really wants to upgrade not to do it. You should just make sure you feel comfortable doing it. Get all the files you need ddownloaded and saved on your computer. Go to the install threads and follow the directions exactly and you should be OK.

I used to throw up a lot of warning posts, but I'm tired of waging a losing battle and being looked at like a crank,
    what you'll gain - that you'll notice, is a video player and HTML email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-08 07:42 PM
    In a couple of minutes a bunch of people with not a lot of experience are going to post that it is a piece of cake, no problems and for you to go ahead and do it. I'll bet that if you have problems, many of them will not know enough to help you recover your berry. Luckily for you there are a bunch of us here watching the forum for people in trouble, and we will help you.

I'm not going to tell anyone who really wants to upgrade not to do it. You should just make sure you feel comfortable doing it. Get all the files you need ddownloaded and saved on your computer. Go to the install threads and follow the directions exactly and you should be OK.

I used to throw up a lot of warning posts, but I'm tired of waging a losing battle and being looked at like a crank,
    what you'll gain - that you'll notice, is a video player and HTML email.

WOW!

As long as you follow the proper instructions, you'll be fine.
    08-16-08 07:47 PM
    I've got to echo excelant. It's not hard, but it's not trivial either, and if you don't know what you're doing, you can make your phone inoperable. You can recover from that, but it's a lot of work. The forums are full of people who didn't understand the directions, went ahead anyway, and bricked their phone. srplummer is right, too, but he said a lot when he said follow the proper instructions. If you can't or won't, don't.
    08-16-08 09:15 PM
    If you consider your computer skills above average to professional, it is still tough.

The main drawback is the loss of vendor support. If any problem occurs, you are on your own. The first thing CS asks is your Options / About status. Full stop.

On the plus side, if you are prepared for some minor hassle, doing a later generation OS upgrade will really impress you. It is that much better.
    If you do it right, install and test your base OS first, no problem. Worst case, you roll back inside of 30 min.

08-16-08 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD