I'm at the end of my contract with Verizon and have always been a Windows PDA guy but I tried the 8830 and the 8130 from Verizon and I'm hooked. But seeing that I'm new to BB I've been reading myself blind trying to decide if provider really makes a huge difference and even if Wi-fi and some of the features make a practical difference.

I returned my Pearl to Verizon to keep my options open while I decide.

Main wants:
    Texting
    IM
    Performance of provider (minimal service losses)

I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia but travel to Florida frequently and Hawaii, Rhode Island and Texas on occasion.

But I also have two kids so I'm thinking the camera is probably a good idea.

Any insight is appreciated.
    04-05-08 09:07 AM
    Well you can stay with Verizon because the Pearl is coming out for it soon. Unless you really want wifi then you can switch to tmo. It's really based on what you use and stuff really and who provides the best coverage for you in all the places you travel.
    04-05-08 09:09 AM
    Well I returned the Pearl I had to keep my options for the upcoming Curve from Verizon or a possible switch of providers if the hardware or service was better from another provider.
    04-05-08 09:22 AM
    Well you can stay with Verizon because the Pearl is coming out for it soon. Unless you really want wifi then you can switch to tmo. It's really based on what you use and stuff really and who provides the best coverage for you in all the places you travel.
    I think you mean Curve... Yea, I HAD both ATT and VZW at the same time. Now because of coverage ATT doesn't work were I need it to. So VZW is what I need. NOW you will have 80% of the people on this forum tell you VZW is the devil (maybe they are) because they "lock" so many features, like GPS. I say wait till May and get your self a CURVE! I have to get 2, one for me and one for the wife!
    04-05-08 09:26 AM
    I have to say that I'm a huge fan of AT&T as opposed to VZW but that's me. When I travel I have minimal service interruptions. I like all of the service features that AT&T offers and overall very pleased with their service. I can always find room for improvement with a provider but they are the best I've found. I've used all of the major providers. And I've stayed with them the longest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-08 09:44 AM
    Main wants:
    Texting
    IM
    Performance of provider (minimal service losses)

I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia but travel to Florida frequently and Hawaii, Rhode Island and Texas on occasion.

If your company is okay with it I would say get the camera Dad! I've been to several places where either me or my wife have forgotten the camera. We have 2 little ones and you forget to pack that sometimes as there is enough to pack already!

E-mail is a given but as far as texting, it'll obviously be your preference of typing on a full keyboard vs. suretype etc....if you are considering the Pearl.

If you want performance, don't lock into a contract until you actually use the phone in the places you will be most at. If that's too hard, JD Powers have ranked T-Mo and Verizon the top 2 carriers for the past year etc... My opinion is Verizon may have a slight edge on coverage but you tend to pay a lot MORE! on your bill for slightly better coverage.

So, get the camera and get the Curve.
    04-05-08 10:31 AM
    30 Day trials are great, if you're going out of town anytime soon, go to TMO or AT&T and pick yourself up a Curve and try it out for a bit. Compare the coverage, if you aren't satisfied then return it.
    04-05-08 10:35 AM
    . NOW you will have 80% of the people on this forum tell you VZW is the devil (maybe they are) because they "lock" so many features, like GPS. I say wait till May and get your self a CURVE! I have to get 2, one for me and one for the wife!
    I like Sprint, but must admit that EVERY wireless carrier is the devil! The damn cell phone industry is way different from anything else.
    04-05-08 10:36 AM
    I had considered a trial with AT&T or T-Mobile since I'll be travelling in a couple weeks. But T-mobile who gives me the Wifi had what appears to be spotty coverage here in VA and only a 14 Day trial.

Do all the carriers charge activation fees etc, even if you return the phone?
    04-05-08 10:56 AM
    I prefer Verizon over AT&T because while they are about the same in coverage, Verizon definitely has the faster data network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-08 11:25 AM
    Riley,

When do you actually see the speed difference? I did a little comparison in the AT&T store but I didn't see much difference.
    04-05-08 11:49 AM
    T-Mobile ???? It seems people are very polarized on T-Mobile, they either love them or hate them. They seem very customer friendly, they enable wifi and have good rates so is there a good reason for the haters?
    04-05-08 11:51 AM
    If it about service, then stay with Verizon. I've been in just about nook and cranny of this country, and my coverage is always there. In the coming month Verizon will be offering the Curve, which is the most popular BB on the market.
    Port you Number to AT&T for 30 days and try the Curve, in the interim Verizon will possibly come courting (freebies)you to come back.
    04-05-08 04:15 PM
    I have been with Tmo in Florida since 2002 was prev with ATT. I think Tmo is the most competitive in rate plans and data plans. 19,99 for BIS and unlimited data? I have never had a problem going anywhere in mainland US or Hawaii with Tmo. I think they are excellent.
    04-05-08 04:22 PM
    CrackBlack,

Does Verizon call and make special offers to get customers back?

One reason I'm hesitant to leave Verizon is that I have the new every two credit built up on my account.
    04-05-08 04:47 PM
    JF7FSU,

I think my major concerns over T-mobile is that their own map shows very spotty coverage in Virginia and even in my area of Virginia Beach and I've read that the network is slower than Verizon (not sure if I'd notice).

Any T-mobile user here in Virginia Beach?
    04-05-08 04:50 PM
    I've been with AT&T/Cingular for years and have never had any problems with them. Customer service has always been on point. I get the best coverage in the rural area that I live in. Verizon, TMO, Sprint, and Cricket all get one bar of service (at best) in my area. Driving from Texas to Lousiana on back roads, I've only found one dead spot in the entire five hour trip and it only lasts about five minutes. Sim cards are great (I forget what services utilizes these) but if I break my phone, I just pop the SIM card out and put it in one of my previous phones and I'm back up. Also means I can buy phones (like on eBay) without having to renew any contracts. Unlimited data is only $30/mo. AT&T is my recommendation.

Derek
    04-05-08 05:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD