Hi gang. I just got my 8310 two days ago, and I've having trouble uploading themes to the BB. Yes, I have searched, but nothing I found answered my question. I have installed DM 4.3 and OS 4.2.2.194. I downloaded a couple of themes that I like, but now I can't get them onto the berry. These are the instructions for uploading themes as I understand them:

DM>App Loader>Add>Themes.alx

Now, my problem as I see it is that when I click on ADD I don't have a themes.alx and I keep getting the "No additional applications were found for your device" error.

So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    05-10-08 11:17 AM
    1) if you are looking for a file called "themes.alx" you are not going to find it. The theme will have a specific name like IPhone_Zen.alx
    or Blue_Apple_Icon.alx

2) Make sure the themes you download are for your device.

3) if the themes are in a .zip file or .rar file you will need to extract
    and save them first.

Other than that you seem to have the process down.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 05-10-08 at 12:49 PM.
    05-10-08 12:45 PM
    You probably also have an options of installing it through OTA
    05-10-08 01:16 PM
    1) if you are looking for a file called "themes.alx" you are not going to find it. The theme will have a specific name like IPhone_Zen.alx
    or Blue_Apple_Icon.alx
    The themes are all .cod files, which the App loader doesn't seem to recognize. These are the instructions as listed on the Crackberry Theme page.

To Download A Theme To Your BlackBerry From Your PC

Go to the provider from whom you wish to buy or download a theme. Do this on your PC. Download the Theme to your PC. It may be zipped so you will need to unzip the file. Connect your Blackberry to your computer. Open up Desktop Manager. Then open Application Loader. Then open. Add. Find the file called �Themes.alx� and hit �OK�. After the installation finishes, you now need to change the theme by going to Settings. Click Options. Then click Themes and select the new theme.

2) Make sure the themes you download are for your device.
    Done

3) if the themes are in a .zip file or .rar file you will need to extract
    and save them first.

Other than that you seem to have the process down.
    They are extracted, and then I moved them into the Java folder with the rest of the themes.
    05-10-08 02:01 PM
    The themes are all .cod files, which the App loader doesn't seem to recognize.
    When you unzip the themes there should be two types of files. .COD and .ALX
    it is the .ALX file you need to select after you hit add.

And the reference to "Themes.alx" is for illustrative purposes.
    05-10-08 02:45 PM
    Wow, I knew it was going to be something simple that I missed. Thanks for the help.
    05-10-08 02:59 PM
    Thats how it is sometimes welcome to CB.
    05-10-08 03:02 PM
    Yeah, when I extracted the files I left the .alx files in some random folder instead of moving them to where I needed them.

Oh well, you live and learn...
    05-10-08 03:13 PM
    Yeah, when I extracted the files I left the .alx files in some random folder instead of moving them to where I needed them.
    No worries, everybodies starts somewhere.

Oh well, you live and learn...
    Most of the time
    05-10-08 03:21 PM
    05-10-08 03:27 PM
    Yeah, I had read that before, but it actually doesn't apply here. All of my software did (and does) match up. The problem was that I was trying to select the wrong file to update.
    05-10-08 04:30 PM
    I am trying to load, say Pacman, or something of that nature. What extension should the file have? Also, I am finding themes with .cod extensions, which will not upload using DM. Do I need to find themes with .alx?
    01-11-09 07:16 AM
    You have to make sure the software you are downloading is for your specific device and specific OS. .alx files are basically like the loader files for .cod files. So, yes, if your going to load it using desktop manager you would look for .alx.
    01-11-09 07:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD