So first thing-- I have researched this thoroughly... both here and other sites. I've found some decent tutorials on how to upgrade the OS, but honestly I can't figure it out for the life of me.

OK so Hardware:
    Curve 8330 running 4.3.0.127, connected to my PC via USB. I get the little "charging" icon near my battery when it's connected, so I'm assuming the cable is not the issue...

Software:
    First thing I tried was DL'ing the latest Desktop Manager software (5.0 or something). I installed it, and when I connected my BB, it said "please make sure your device is connected" and it wouldn't let me do anything within the Desktop Manager.

Then I figured I'd go back to an older version of DM to see if that was an issue, so I got 4.5. I installed it this morning and it is still not recognizing my BB.

Oh, and I chose "USB" as the connection method of choice for the DM.

Any suggestions?

Can anyone tell me the steps? I feel like I might be very close...
    01-12-10 09:15 AM
    I get the little "charging" icon near my battery when it's connected, so I'm assuming the cable is not the issue...

Then I figured I'd go back to an older version of DM to see if that was an issue, so I got 4.5. I installed it this morning and it is still not recognizing my BB.
    The standard USB cable has both data and power connections. There are also specialized "Recharging" cables that do not use the data lines. If you have any doubt, replace the cable with a known good USB cable.

The Desktop Manger Version does not matter, but the later version have included version checking for automated upgrades. That is the best choice for most members, but you also use the earlier versions.

BlackBerry has published a paper on troubleshooting USB connections:

View Document
    01-12-10 10:30 AM
    Thanks!! I did not know there was a difference between USB cables. I bought a "package" off of e-bay which had a wall and car adapter, and a USB cable... so this cable is probably charge-only.

Thanks again-- I'll try another cable if I can find one!
    01-12-10 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD