I installed DM 4.7 (this happens in DM 5 as well) and downloaded 4.5.0.254 and installed it into WinXP in a Fusion virtual machine. I deleted the vendor.xml file and connected the 8310 using the USB cable and it is recognized by the OS. I go into DM after doing a backup and try to update the OS. I use Application Update to install the OS but the DM tells me there is nothing to update. It knows that 4.5.0.254 is available locally. Am I doing something stupid? What am I missing? Thanks in advance for the help.
    09-11-09 09:06 AM
    4.5.0.254 is not a valid OS. that sounds like the package version or software version. you want the application version, which for your phone will be 4.5.0.1xx or something. hit alt + right shift + h. what application version are you running now? 4.5.0.110? that might be the same one you are trying to update to, hence nothing to update.
    09-11-09 09:20 AM
    I am running Application Version 4.5.0.110 but the OS software that I tried to install lists Application Version 4.5.161. At least that is what is listed on the Crackberry web site where I got it.
    09-11-09 12:45 PM
    When you installed DM 5.0 it might have installed a hidden vendor.xml file. Do an advanced search making sure to include hidden and system files to find and delete this file.

Also, launch from loader.exe in the same apploader folder that you removed the original vendor file from.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-09 12:51 PM
    I did delete the only vendor.xml file that I could find. I tried the loader.exe suggested and, when the process gets to Connecting to Device ROM, it fails with the message Unspecified Error encountered. Really seems weird. It recognizes that software can be upgraded but it can't do it. Tried it twice.
    09-11-09 02:32 PM
    uninstall DM 4.7. Download and install DM 4.6

DM 4.7 is known to have a lot of issues and is buggy.
    09-11-09 02:38 PM
    My thanks to nubgen - the explanation was that 4.6 works fine. Versions 4.7 and 5 seem to be buggy. I am amazed that RIM still turns out buggy software after all this time but that seems to be so. I am hoping for fewer memory leaks with this OS version and I am shocked to see how much extra space is available with this new OS. I am over 11MB whereas before I had about 5. Now I can have some fun downloading more apps!
    09-11-09 04:42 PM
    Whoa, hold on there. 11MB isn't so great either. Hold off on those apps.

Use CrackMem or Shrink a OS to remove foreign language support, TTY Support for hearing aids, etc, then relaunch loader.exe to gain more file free memory. After getting rid of the OS bloat, you should end up with 15+ MB of free memory depending on how aggressive you are removing unnecessary stuff.
    09-11-09 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD