I consider myself fairly competent at almost all electronics, except for cell phones. Knowing that if I tried to update my curve's software through beta or leaked OS versions I would cause the blackberry to explode, I waited very impatiently for ATT's official 4.5 release. Late last night I learned of ATT's official release and downloaded it to my computer. A few hours ago, I tried to apply OS 4.5 to my curve. Halfway through my desktop manager told me that a fatal error occurred, and the installation ceased. I then downloaded OS 4.2 again and tried reinstalling that to my curve, but a fatal error occurred again. I tried to install 4.2 one more time, and it worked. However, the graphics on my curve are extremely... archaic. Everything is black and white and 8bit. None of my contacts, etc., are on my curve either. Additionally, when I try to upgrade to 4.5 again, desktop software will only let me re-upgrade to 4.2 (which ultimately doesn't work, as I'm already at 4.2). I redownloaded the OS4.5 software to my computer, but desktop manager still refuses to read it.

the short version: please help me!
    12-22-08 04:50 PM
    Go to Add/Remove programs and delete all Device Software listed.

Reboot your PC.

Load just the software you want installed, the device software.

Before you try again, perform a batt pull, waiting a min before putting the batt in, check all connections to and from the BB.

Try again.

What exact error does it display on your PC and also the BB?
    12-22-08 04:55 PM
    Wow, I did what you said and everything's perfect now! Thank you so much!
    12-22-08 09:03 PM
    Glad everything worked out. Welcome to Crackberry!
    12-22-08 09:08 PM
    hi, all. i have the same problem as afx323, though with vodafone in spain. i tried following the advice given by ghostshell, but alas it didn't work for me.

i have a pearl 8100 and upgraded to OS 4.5 a couple months ago but now when i get the prompt in desktop mgr to upgrade to 4.5.0.99, it runs through the backup process (i have "yahoo! go" and a few google apps installed...not sure if that is the problem, though i don't know how to isolate those apps in this process without deleting/uninstalling them completely) and then when the desktop mgr application loader says it's connecting to the device ROM, the device shuts off, red LED comes on, desktop mgr hangs and returns the fatal error.

and for the kicker, when my device finally restarts and gets back to the home screen, the icons are all rearranged and the icons i'd hidden and moved are all there again and in a different order.

i'd be ever so grateful to know either how to get the updates to work on this pearl, or if that is a stumper, then how to fully wipe out the device so i can try to start fresh...a total device system wipe would surely fix the problem...wouldn't it?

thanks!
    01-17-09 08:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD