I would appreciate help with a rule/procedure that, for me, works most of the time but not on at least one essential occasion.

To get an asterisk, key ALT A/*. To get numbers, key ALT plus the number.

This process works fine when I, say, create a Memo.

But the procedure for me to access messages on my phone at my home/office is this: during my greeting message, I have to press the star (asterisk) key. Then a voice prompts me to key in my password (four digits/numbers).

I need to be able to key in an *, and I need to do so within a 10-second or so time frame.

My previous BBerry (7130, I think) handled this with no problem. My Curve resists. Instead of the asterisk, I get a cap A. Occasionally by pressing ALT and the Left Cap key simultaneously, and then the A/* key, I can get an * but it is hit and miss. Then I try to key in numbers and again get letters. It is essential that I can access my voicemail messages from my home/office phone.

Any ideas? Many thanks. Robmobile
    09-15-07 05:01 AM
    I say add the password to your voicemail setup! So, what that said, from your Curve, go to phone / menu / options / voicemail / password - enter it there!
    09-15-07 07:22 AM
    Thanks for reply but I want to clarify - this problem is NOT with my mobile-phone voicemail, which I have not used yet. The problem is with my regular landline phone. Does the solution you suggest apply to that situation (that is, with my reguar landline voicemail?). If so, I'll give it a try.
    09-15-07 08:28 AM
    No, as per my reply it pertains to your BlackBerry. If it's with your landline, I suggest you speak with your service provider...
    09-15-07 08:53 AM
    Robmobile, when your BlackBerry is in phone mode, the ALT functions for the number pad default to "on." While you are in the phone call to your landline voicemail, simply press the A key by itself to get a *. The Curve will even display your keypresses on the screen so you can experiment with it and see exactly what you get.

If you have the letter "a" in your password, THEN you need to hold the ALT key first.
    09-15-07 10:56 AM
    rrrebo
    You understood my dilemma perfectly, and your solution - which I just tested - works perfectly too. Thank you for the answer, and the explanation behind it.
    Robmobile
    09-15-07 11:20 AM
    We aim to please... Welcome to The Crack!
    09-15-07 12:12 PM
    Yep rrrebo hit the nail on the head. You might want to add this number to your address book.

You can enter the number then a pause or a few then *password. That way you just have to call that number and it will do all the work for you.
    09-15-07 01:36 PM
    Trevor
    Too late tonight for me to try your technique, but it sounds tantalising. First thing tomorrow.... Thanks.
    09-15-07 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD