hi folks, need help, i had previously, installed on my vista pc, blackberry desktop 4.5 when it was first released and upgraded my curve 8310 from 4.2 to 4.5 firmware, and was able to backup and use all features of the desktop software 4.5 for vodafone ireland.

i recently had to reinstall vista on my laptop and today installed blackberry desktop 4.5 on my laptop again... now when the laptop starts, i cannot find research in motion in my program list, and cannot get it to start,

if i find the blackberry device manager exe file, i try and run it, but nothing happens! i have tried this on 2 different vista machines, with run as administrator when installing... am lost as what to do next!

on both vista machines it asks do i want to run application loader, and that works fine,, but no other part of the desktop software works nor can i find it listed in the program groups...

any ideas?
    10-04-08 09:04 PM
    I'm not very familiar with Vista, but I think you have to run it as "admin" if I'm not mistaken.
    10-04-08 09:08 PM
    yes i tried that still doesent work and no research in motion listed in program groups!!

something really funny going on , thats 2 vista pcs and one xp i have tried so far!!

any ideas?
    10-04-08 09:16 PM
    I'm not very familiar with Vista, but I think you have to run it as "admin" if I'm not mistaken.
    hi
    if i download and install version 4.6 from the blackberry site will it screw up my blackberry settings? i am with vodafone ireland, and they have only version 4.5.. they havent approved version 4.6 yet...

is it just a simple, install to go to version 4.6?

cheers?
    10-04-08 09:28 PM
    yes i tried that still doesent work and no research in motion listed in program groups!!

something really funny going on , thats 2 vista pcs and one xp i have tried so far!!

any ideas?
    You want to look for a BlackBerry group in programs. That is where you will
    find the DM application
    10-04-08 09:57 PM
    I had a similar problem when my laptop crashed and I had to reinstall DM. Have you tried uninstalling it, rebooting and reinstalling as administrator from the Blackberry website, rather than from the installation disk that came with your device?

I have Verizon Wireless... and the disk that came with my device had the wrong version, so when I installed from the Blackberry website, it worked fine. I had to reboot immediately after installing... so the changes would take effect - before I could use it.

Make sure you choose the version supported by your service provider - NOT the more recent version, however. If you have tech problems, your service provider may not provide support for newer software versions.

Hope that helps!

Heartforhorses
    10-04-08 10:03 PM
    I had a similar problem when my laptop crashed and I had to reinstall DM. Have you tried uninstalling it, rebooting and reinstalling as administrator from the Blackberry website, rather than from the installation disk that came with your device?

I have Verizon Wireless... and the disk that came with my device had the wrong version, so when I installed from the Blackberry website, it worked fine. I had to reboot immediately after installing... so the changes would take effect - before I could use it.

Make sure you choose the version supported by your service provider - NOT the more recent version, however. If you have tech problems, your service provider may not provide support for newer software versions.

Hope that helps!

Heartforhorses
    hi tried all that, it appears to install ok, and when installation finishes, it asks me do i want to run application loader...

but there is no blackberry / research in motion program group anywhere!

really strange.. i am about to download version 4.6 from the blackberry site as a last ditch try! any other suggestions
    10-05-08 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD