hey guys,

i think that this is my first post ever here, but you helped me a lot in other situations. right now i couldn't find any help so i'm posting myself and really hope that it isn't a common problem and that i'm in the right section.

i'll try to provide you with all information i know, so:
    i've got a blackberry curve 8310 and it runs on the 4.5.0.188.
    my problem is that it won't connect to BIS. it's a second hand device, i bought it from ebay and i would like to give it to a friend. he has BIS activated (we tried it on my 9900).

so the first thing i thought about was 'enterprise'. because the ex-owner could've use it with some enterprise server in his or her company, right? so i googled and came to the result that IT policies might be the problem. so i followed an instruction (for mac) and did some terminal commands including,

'cd /Applications/BlackBerry\ Desktop\ Software.app/Contents/MacOS/'
    and:
    './bbdm resettofactory'

after that i wiped the device (options>security options>general settings>menu key>wipe) and it still won't work...
    i also did the host routing table (options>HRT>menu key>register now) thingy and it also didn't work.

can you tell me what i'm doing/did wrong?

thank you so much in advance!

-J
    Last edited by juanfernandez; 01-22-12 at 07:07 AM. Reason: some stuff i forgot :/
    01-22-12 07:02 AM
    What exactly do you mean when you say "it won't connect to BIS"?

What happens? What error message are getting?

On what carrier are you using? Do you have a full BlackBerry Data Plan with that carrier? Has the device's IMEI and PIN been activated on the carrier's BIS service?
    01-22-12 07:47 AM
    hey switchbeach, thank you for replying so fast.

it just won't do it! i don't get an error message... the 'edge' and 'gprs' in the upper right corner are lowercase ('gprs' not 'GPRS') and it says 'not connected' in the options...

i'm from germany so i (or better my friend) uses o2 germany. the device has a t-mobile branding, is that a problem? the device is working completely (he can get SMS and calls).
    he's got a full data plan.

o2 told us that it has been activated. and it works on my blackberry bold 9900, so the activation shouldn't be the problem...

thank you!
    01-22-12 07:53 AM
    anyone?
    01-23-12 01:56 PM
    "the device has t-mobile branding" is probably the problem.

What bands does the device support? Go to Options > About to check.

What bands does your network use?

If the device is supported, have you tried registering the Host Routing Table and sending the Service Books?
    01-23-12 04:15 PM
    i thought so...

please don't hate me now, but i never heard anything of bands before... i'm not totally new to blackberrys but there seems to be some stuff i need to learn

i tried to register it with the HRT-option but it didn't work.
    i also removed the it policys (well, i hope that i did, see first post)

it is written everywhere that i need to login to my carrier's blackberry service to resend the service books... but i can't because i'm not using a t-mobile contract...

thank you!
    01-23-12 04:21 PM
    You said that your friend had BIS activated. Has he tried logging in to the carrier's BIS (not TMobile but carrier he is using) and adding the device on the BIS?

Did you check the bands on the device?
    01-23-12 06:44 PM
    i searched the possibility to do this on o2 germany' website but i couldn't find it... i might call them later and ask them if they've got a solution...

i checked the 'about'-screen but i couldn't find it either. i actually don't really know what bands are... if it is the problem with the band, is it fixable? :/

thank you very much!
    01-24-12 12:56 AM
    01-24-12 06:32 AM
    Also, go to OPTIONS (the icon looks like a wrench). Then go to ABOUT.
    01-24-12 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD