Hey everyone, I got my first BlackBerry a couple months ago and LOVE it! I just got a new skin for it so it doesn't slip well into the holster. That doesn't bother me since I can just keep it in my pocket, however I miss the autostandby function that the case gives me. I know about holding the mute button down for a couple of seconds to put the phone into standby, however with this new skin, I have to push down REALLY hard to hit the button. The convenience keys are...well, more convenient. Is it possible to set one of these to put the phone into standby? Currently I have it set to keylock, but it's just not the same. I would love to see the same functionality of the mute button on one of these buttons instead. Anyone know if this is possible or know of an app that would allow me to make this change?

Thanks!
    12-23-09 08:54 AM
    You can't set a convenience key to standby but you can set a key to keyboard lock.
    Pretty much the same thing in my opinion.
    12-24-09 12:12 AM
    You can't set a convenience key to standby but you can set a key to keyboard lock.
    Pretty much the same thing in my opinion.
    Keyboard lock will not put the device in "sleep mode" to conserve the battery. http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/co...tandby-179220/
    12-24-09 12:21 AM
    There's a paid app called "AutoStandby" that will put your Berry into standby mode when the screen shuts off (or any other user set time). I used to use it on my 9000 when pocket carrying and found it almost as handy as the holster as you don't have to push any buttons to put it to sleep.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-09 01:13 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Like I said in my OP, I already have one of the keys set to keyboard lock. But like lak said, it won't put the phone to sleep like the holster or mute button. I'm going to give the AutoStandby app a try. That seems like that will work sufficiently. I'll search for it, but if I can't manage to find it, could you tell me where to get it? Also, any ideas on holsters with magnet that will accomodate a berry with a skin would be helpful as well.

Thanks again for the help!
    12-24-09 06:26 AM
    I apologize for the double post, but I started to think about the AutoStandby app. How do you get it out of standby? Do you still have to use the mute button to wake it up? If so, that really won't work for me since I'm trying to avoid using the mute button altogether due to the skin that covers it.

I guess my options are limited to the following:

1. Discard or use a new skin (I like the skin I have now, so I'd prefer to keep it)
    2. Modify the skin (I'm afraid I will mess it up)
    3. Find an app that will allow me to use one of the convenience buttons to put the phone in standby (Hoping one exists)
    4. Find a case that my Berry with skin will easily slide into and out of that also has a magnet for autostandby. (I have a small magnet that will work if I have to modify the case)

Any other ideas?

Of course if I can use a button other than mute to wake the phone up from standby when using the Auto Standby app, then this is the route I will take.

Thanks again!
    12-24-09 08:40 AM
    I'm pretty sure that the Bold 9000 holster will fit the 83xx with a silicone skin. I'll try it out for you after work tonight.
    Try this little experiment: put the phone in standby with the mute key. After the screen is off, press and hold the end call button (don't turn it off ) and see if that takes it out of standby.

12-24-09 09:10 AM
    Thanks again for the help. The End button does in fact pull it out of standby, however it must be held in for about 5 seconds. That's too long to be convenient compared to a quick tap of the mute button. Hopefully the Bold 9000 holster will work as that's looking like the best option at this point.
    12-24-09 12:16 PM
    I'd like the exact same thing...the ability to use one of the side buttons to put my BB into and out of standby.
    12-24-09 02:41 PM
    Confirmed 8310 with a rocketfish (bestbuy) silicone skin fits into a Bold 9000 OEM holster and engages standby

12-25-09 11:36 AM
    Thanks again for looking into this! Now I know what to look for.
    12-28-09 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD