Okay...

I have searched and not seen this dicussed before - so I will go ahead and point it out to see what you guys have to say.

I just updated my Sprint Curve 8330 to OS 4.5.0.131.

I noticed that when I start texting someone, once there are several messages in the conversation, it only displays a black box instead of their name when you look at the conversation history.

Anyone experience this or know how I can have it show the name of the sender in each message like it used to?
    02-06-09 09:47 AM
    This is an issue with the 4.5 it seems.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/sms...-4-5-a-153147/

Other users are reporting this with no resolution.

Viewing the message from the SMS/MMS list shows the contact, but you are correct once you are in the message itself you do not see any information.
    02-06-09 09:50 AM
    Ahhh - thanks for the information.

I searched for something but I guess I didn't hard enough. Thanks!
    02-06-09 09:57 AM
    I dunno i just checked mine and mine seems to work fine. Not sure if this is just a sporatic thing and only some people are experiencing it. I did my update 2 nights ago when it was first made officail, not sure if that could have anything to do with it.
    02-06-09 10:00 AM
    I am thinking it may just be a non Sprint thing, I sent a text to my GF who has an 8830 WE on Sprint and it shows Callback Number: Her Name (mobile)

But on friends with Nextel, VZW or ATT all I see is the black box without their names.
    02-06-09 10:11 AM
    Mine works fine also..
    02-06-09 10:13 AM
    It is a Sprint thing because I am on Sprint and so is my sister...
    02-06-09 11:42 AM
    im gonna contradict you miller because im on sprint with 4.5.0.131 and i dont have a problem at all with my sms inbox and seeing the contact. Its probably your phone. I would say back it up, wipe the device, and then reinstall and see if that fixes the issue.
    02-06-09 11:48 AM
    FYI...just got a new curve (unlocked)...i'm an AT&T user...and i've got black boxes every which way to sunday.

sprint users...you're not alone out there in black box land.
    02-06-09 11:52 AM
    I have sprint like i stated above and mine seems to be working fine. My brother has an iPhone with AT&T and his name appears perfectly fine, says "Bro (mobile). So im not sure if its a build issue or a phone issue.
    02-06-09 11:55 AM
    I upgraded to .131 when it was first leaked and I don't have that issue either.
    02-06-09 12:01 PM
    I am also on sprint and I am not having this problem but I am getting a 10 second delay opening replying and sending text
    02-06-09 12:11 PM
    I dug around a little more and when I text a friend on Nextel I get just a black box, but when I text my GF on her 8830 WE I get her name and (mobile) in the line above the message.

This is me texting with someone on Nextel, notice their name only shows up on the top or newest message.

This one is me texting to my gf's 8830 I see her name and (mobile) on each of her messages.
    02-06-09 12:36 PM
    That's how it is for me - the name only shows on the newest message...

Wierd...

...battery pull didn't fix it. I used JL_Cmdr to wipe the device before I did the OS Upgrade and it seemed to work just fine loading the OS - but now I have this. Oh well, I think I can live with it...I use BBM more than anything now...
    Last edited by its_miller_time; 02-06-09 at 01:46 PM.
    02-06-09 01:21 PM
    try resending your srvice books
    02-06-09 07:59 PM
    it is a glitch I called sprint and they haven't released it yet b/c of these same issues. They said rim did it on there own. They said that once they fixed it they will send out the official os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 08:36 PM
    I just upgraded to OS 4.5 this morning, have sprint, and have the same issue with the blocks appearing in my text messages.
    02-06-09 08:51 PM
    This is not a 4.5 issue and has nothing to do with service books being resent or Sprint putting out the 4.5 vs. RIM putting it out.

After looking more into it, apparently it has to do with the settings on each person's phone as far as contact information or callback number in their MMS settings.

If you DO see your person's name etc showing up I would say they have their callback settings enabled or shown in some way in their SMS settings.

When I text a friend on VZW with a Storm his shows up exactly as my gf's did in my screen shot.
    02-07-09 10:34 AM
    im haveing a bes issue with the new update
    02-08-09 09:46 AM
    Not seeing this on my Curve either.

02-08-09 06:07 PM
    Mine's been working fine so far..
    02-08-09 06:31 PM
    No issues with mine either, works just fine!!
    02-08-09 08:03 PM
    I just upgraded to 4.5 last night and so far I don't have any issues. It was my first upgrade so it took a while. I couldn't get the JL_CMDR thing to work but when I got the OS on my computer it does its own backup and wipe of my applications and put it all back. Nice to be able to MMS having sprint.

02-08-09 08:29 PM
    Mine's been working fine so far..
    Rockford, could you post a screen shot of the history of an SMS for us to see what it looks like after the upgrade?
    02-10-09 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD