Can the BB be configured to pop emails instead of pushing them? My BB is beeping at me all day long. I'd rather pop the emails all at one time when i want them.
    Can the BB do this? Is there a 3rd party app that does that?
    04-17-08 07:35 PM
    You could not use the push and use opera mini to check them
    04-17-08 07:36 PM
    Who is you POP3 provider?

Couldn't you simply just turn the alert for new messages off?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-08 09:38 PM
    Yeah I mean I turn my alert off. I mean the red light blinks but that doesn't bother me as much as the alert tone.

04-17-08 09:44 PM
    Yeah I mean I turn my alert off. I mean the red light blinks but that doesn't bother me as much as the alert tone.

Leave it on vibrate.
    04-17-08 09:56 PM
    Hi, I have ATT Media Net on my BB 8310-I have not signed up for BIS-I figured I already have my POP mail through their system, so why pay for a BIS plan when you don't have to?

SB
    04-17-08 10:03 PM
    You do realize that you can have your service terminated for using a MEdia Net plan with a BlackBerry, don't you?

04-18-08 12:23 AM
    Good points.
    I do need BIS because of my work corporate system.
    So I guess I overlooked the obvious. I can just turn the beep off for my personal account, and leave the beep on for work email.
    Thanks all.
    04-18-08 12:26 AM
    Hi,
    No, I did not know that, but an ATT dealer set up my phone. I had Media Net with my RAZR unlimited plan prior to getting my BB, and they said nothing about having a BIS service. I even confirmed this with ATT over the phone a few days later.
    04-18-08 11:45 AM
    I'm very surprised to hear that an AT&T rep. told you that you could have a Blackberry without a Blackberry plan. I mean some of them aren't the greatest but that's one thing they ALL usually know.
    04-18-08 11:47 AM
    You can have a bb without a data plan, you just won't receive emails or get internet. Its just a phone then

04-18-08 08:47 PM
    You can have a bb without a data plan, you just won't receive emails or get internet. Its just a phone then

True, you can have it with NO data plan, but it is against the TOS to use it with a MEdia Net plan.

Go to the At&t site, follow the link to services and then the link to the MEdia Net packages. Check the drop down list of phones compatible with either the MEdia Net Unlimited package OR the MEdia Max Unlimited package and tell me if you see BlackBerry listed.

A good 95% of the store reps and phone reps don't have a clue what they are talking about either. One of my previous Curves was never registered with BIS so I called to remedy the situation.

Actually, hold on a second... Before I even left the store, I asked the rep if she properly changed my data plan to a BB plan and registered my device, she "basically" said she had no idea what I was talking about and that it all happened automatically. Now, I knew better but I gave her the benefit of the doubt for 2 hours.

Anyway, as I was saying, I called to remedy the situation... The person I spoke to on the phone said I had a PDA data package on my line and that was all I needed... I told her to look again and read the fine print, she then came back and was like, "Oh, sorry... I will get the proper plan on there."

All I am getting at is to take anything said by a store or phone rep with a CHUNK of salt and follow the golden rule of CYA! I don't know the specifics, but I have heard that not only can At&t terminate your line for using MEdia Net plans with BlackBerrys or Windows Mobile devices, but they can also hold you liable for any and all data charges you incurred while using said plan.
    04-18-08 10:30 PM
    Hello,

I stand corrected-I DID contact ATT again, and they too seemed surprised that the ATT Store manager where I purchased the BB did not give me the info...so I signed up with a 3 month credit for their mistake!

Thank You for pointing that out to me.
    04-18-08 11:04 PM
    I'm using media net also, and i know a few others that are on medianet with treos and tilts for years and nothing has happened to them.
    04-18-08 11:58 PM
    I'm using media net also, and i know a few others that are on medianet with treos and tilts for years and nothing has happened to them.
    So that makes it ok and erases the rules set forth by At&t's TOS?
    04-19-08 12:27 AM
    While clearly these people are cheating the system, I believe that ATT and other phone companies need to be held equally if not more responsible for these things happening. They don't realize people on BBs need the BB service? Are they completely stupid? I'm sure many people are not able to get the most out of their BB because some stupid sales person set them up wrong...and THEY had no clue their current plan wouldn't work.
    04-19-08 01:00 AM
    The bottom line is the bottom line. Whether AT&T gets us to pay $20 for MediaNet, $30/$40/$50 for a BB data plan, it's all pure profit for them. If an AT&T rep adds on a MediaNet plan for a BB, then so be it. You can't start preaching about how wrong it is. Anyway, big deal. You're still paying for the EXACT same data that flows on the same exact towers, on the same exact networks.
    Call it what you want, it's all marketing, it's not stealing.
    04-19-08 10:47 AM
    I definitely don't agree with this line of thinking. If one gas station was charging $1 for a candy bar and the other one was charging $2 for the same type of candy bar and you put $1 on the counter and walked out, would it not be stealing????

Whether you think so or not, it is stealing.
    04-19-08 11:41 AM
    The bottom line is the bottom line. Whether AT&T gets us to pay $20 for MediaNet, $30/$40/$50 for a BB data plan, it's all pure profit for them. If an AT&T rep adds on a MediaNet plan for a BB, then so be it. You can't start preaching about how wrong it is. Anyway, big deal. You're still paying for the EXACT same data that flows on the same exact towers, on the same exact networks.
    I agree, Shady, it was the ATT manager's fault for not making that point to begin with. But now I have the BIS service, but have been getting all kinds of service messages on my phone-I registered on the device itself, then reloaded DM and selected BIS internet, but was not sure how to delete certain files from my Service Book then resend the SB files again, essentially re-registering again. I must have had 30 messages from the exchange server this morning on my phone.

Not sure if it worked or not-but it was easier just having the Medit Net , although I DO like getting notices on my BB when I get email.

I am a newbie, so I have lots to learn.
    04-19-08 11:43 AM
    It has absolutely nothing to do with marketing... I don't even know where you are trying to go with that comment honestly.

If the rep adds a MEdia Net plan, it is NOT the same thing and it is NOT "ok." A person using a BlackBerry with a MEdia Net plan doesn't have full access to their BlackBerry's suite of features. MEdia Net will not allow them to get their BlackBerry Browser, nor will they ever be able to set up their email to be pushed to the phone. If they were the same thing, they wouldn't sell different packages at different costs.

Whether you can comprehend it or not, there are differences, and there are reasons why one costs more than the other. Now, if a rep adds it, and the customer doesn't know better, it is the rep's fault that the customer is using the wrong plan, and it is the rep's fault that the customer is using a gimped Berry. However, if the customer knows better, but decides to bypass the rep altogether and adds the MEdia Net plan from their online account, then they are wrong, and they are "stealing" in a sense.

Again, what you think doesn't mean a damned thing in the situation because it is outlined in the TOS and is a violation. You can preach to high heaven about At&t making a profit, and blah, blah, blah; none of that changes the fact that the BlackBerry isn't meant to be used on a MEdia Net plan and it is against the TOS to do so. You may not get caught, your friends may not get caught, but people do, and if it can be proven that a rep had nothing to do with it, the person can have their service terminated.

Why is this so hard to understand, and why is it even being debated on the forum? Plain and simple, use a MEdia Net plan at your own risk, but do so understanding that you are breaking a contractual TOS you SIGNED and AGREED to, and you are also gimping your BlackBerry user experience.
    04-19-08 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD