I got a letter in the mail today from Verizon telling me to go to their website to download the latest software. It didn't specify that I should do so from my computer and not my blackberry. I didn't think twice about it when I picked up my beloved curve and typed in the address listed, thinking that it would take me to a site where I could "choose" to download the latest OS. Immediately it went to a white screen with the standard power up "Blackberry" messsage in the center of the screen and it has been that way for the past 20 or so minutes. While waiting impatiently, I went to the Verizon site from my computer and read the instructions on downloading to a computer first. Have I totally screwed up my curve by going direct? Will the white screen of death resolve itself and load up in a few minutes with the new OS? Have I lost everything since I didn't do a backup beforehand?

Any advice would be great, thanks!!!
    11-10-08 08:34 PM
    Take the battery out and then place back in after a min or so.
    11-10-08 08:39 PM
    It appears to be powering back up now... holding my breath. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks for the quick response!
    11-10-08 08:44 PM
    OK, everything seems to be back up and running properly, however when it first powered up it said something to the effect, "Verifying Security Settings". I have never seen that one before so I figured something had to have changed. It still shows 4.3.0.127 as the OS, so I'm not sure what happened. Thanks again for helping me out, I'll try again tomorrow through my computer and make sure I back everything up ahead of time.

Have a great evening!
    11-10-08 08:48 PM
    I am curious about this. I also have a VZW 8330 but did not get a letter about an update. I remain on the 4.3 OS at this point.
    11-10-08 08:52 PM
    Mine always verifies security settings upon start up, you're fine
    11-10-08 08:53 PM
    If you are planning on upgrading your OS take a look at this link first. http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/
    11-10-08 08:58 PM
    Also check this out:
    BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

Yep you are fine, mine checks security settings too.
    11-10-08 09:19 PM
    Ive never had a BB not check security settings after a restart.
    11-10-08 11:05 PM
    It doesn't check security settings if you turn it off and on, but it always does after a battery pull. Don't be scared; battery pulls are the equivalent of restarting a computer and necessary from time to time.
    11-10-08 11:41 PM
    Got it, Thanks! I have pulled the battery a couple of times when my Mobile Connections wouldn't stay on, but I guess I have never watched it reboot before.

I just figured that if Verizon sent me something, it would be a brianless procedure and wouldn't require me to do anything special. I guess I have some "studying" to do. Thanks for all of the info!
    11-11-08 05:10 PM
    You didn't screw up your Curve.
    11-11-08 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD