Here is my situation.....
    I have T-Mobile as a service. A friend of mine had an Unlocked AT&T Blackberry Curve 8300 that they sold me. Now I'm trying to set up all the basic functions (email, web browsing etc) and I'm not able to connect to the internet or setup and email account of anything. I am new to Blackberry and I'm wondering if even though the Curve is unlocked, can I still use it, and all its functions with a T-Mobile account, or does it have limited functionality because it's an unlocked phone?
    I am very confused, and starting to think I made a bad purchase.
    Does anyone know about setting up an Unlocked Blackberry Curve?

Thank you!
    05-08-08 11:21 AM
    Setting up an unlocked BB Curve is the same as setting up one locked to your carrier.

1: Make sure you have a Blackberry Data Plan, with TMo its 19.99 Blackberry unlimited.

2: Put your SIM in, and it will register with the network.

3: Go to TMo's BIS site, and either login, or create an account.( if you have an @tmo.blackberry.net email, you most likely have setup an account already.

4: Add your emails through there, and also go to CHANGE DEVICE on the left menu, and add the PIN and IMEI in there.

5: Go to SERVICE BOOKS on the left menu, and click SEND TO DEVICE

That should get you all set up, after you register the device and add the PIN and BB Data Plan, it can take up to 20 min for the emails to start coming.
    05-08-08 12:22 PM
    Hi, welcome to Crackberry.

I have an unlocked AT&T 8310 too. I got it this week.

You phone will work with T-Mobile - no question about that.

I assume that you have put your SIM card in the phone.

You should now see the carrier name (T-Mobile) and the word gprs or edge. If these are in lower case, then you are seeing the data signal but are not logged in. An uppercase GPRS or EDGE indicates that the data signal is present and that you are logged in.

You ar most likely not logged in and to do that you need to sign up for a data plan.

Data plans costs a monthly amount depending upon what you buy.

You did not give you location so I can't tell where in the world you are.

You can set up your emails via the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) and that too costs money monthly.

You should call T-Mobile and ask about Blackberry data and email options.

Others here will add more location specific T-Mobile information I am sure.
    05-08-08 12:29 PM
    cjarbone, I guess that you type faster than me.....
    05-08-08 12:31 PM
    Thank you to all of you! Lots and lots of help you are.... I was about to get rid of this beautiful phone, just because i couldn't figure it out....
    Thanks again.
    05-08-08 02:48 PM
    i try to send service books to my phone and it dosent work i have lowercase edge in the corner so i dont think its able to receive it can somone please help my bbm wont work
    11-21-08 07:45 PM
    i try to send service books to my phone and it dosent work i have lowercase edge in the corner so i dont think its able to receive it can somone please help my bbm wont work
    Have you got a data plan set up with it? The edge vs. EDGE indicates that it's not receiving data. Try reregistering the Host Routing table: options-advanced options- host routing table- menu key (flying Ds)- register.

If THAT doesn't work for some reason you aren't getting data. Call Tmobile and make sure they have all your IMEI and PIN correct...and if all else fails ask them to delete your account and re-add it. This fixed this same problem for me.
    11-22-08 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD