Here's what happened:

My friend Mark lost his curve in a cab this weekend. He went to Alltel and paid the insurance deductible to get a new one. After he got the new one, his old one was found and returned to him. He went to Alltel to see about returning the new curve and getting the old one back up and running. They said they couldn't refund for the insurance and that the ESN on the old phone is in the negative tables because it was reported lost. My question is, is there any way to get the old phone up and running again? He has it, it was his originally, and he's the one who lost it, so I would think there is something Alltel can do about it? And also, if they could get it up and running and wouldn't take back the new one he'll sell me the old one. I just don't want to get it from him if there's no way to get the ESN back on the old phone.

Does anyone know what we can do? The old phone was only 2 weeks old when he lost it, and it's a shame that now no one can use it!

PLEASE HELP!

[[I did already post this in the Alltel form, but got no answer and am re-posting here in hopes someone will answer! ]]
    10-06-08 12:19 PM
    Please do not make duplicate posts. And also please use a descriptive title for your posts.

Cross/Double Posting
    Please post to the MOST relevant forum. Double or cross forum posting or other attempts at flooding the forum with a stream of posts will be removed. If you find that you have posted in the incorrect forum, please contact a moderator to have it moved to the correct location.

Bumping

This refers to posting with the deliberate intention to either pad your post count or to keep a thread 'hot' so it appears at the top of the forum. Bumping can sometimes be useful, but you must wait three days from the original post to bump the thread. Only one bump is allowed per thread per user. CrackBerry.com's moderator’s reserve the right to delete useless “bumps” at their discretion.

Use a Descriptive Title

This rule is simple; help us to help you. When you create your thread / post, think of it as if 'somone else' is reading it. With that in mind, make your subject lines related to the content of your post. Having a subject line of 'help' or 'now what', will not really help others later when they do a search for a particular issue. So, try to be a little more creative. Example: “My Pearl will not show myFaves icons” or “How do I use BB Maps on my 8100”
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/pos...uidelines-113/
    10-06-08 12:24 PM
    Al phones, BlackBerrys included have an unique number called an IMEI number (go to Options, Status to see it). When a phone is lost, stolen and paid out by the insurance company the IMEI number is blacklisted for that country. From now on, no matter what carrier's SIM card you put in to the phone in the country of origin it will never, ever work again.

Outside the origin country the phone will work fine.

Phones that are blacklisted are never brought back into service in the original country. Once the phone is blacklisted the insurance company do not care.
    10-06-08 12:28 PM
    sunkast, I did not reaalise that this was a duplicate post. You are right. I agree. DO NOT DO THIS AGAIN.

I also agree with you about descriptive titles. I just think that some people are just too lazy to think up a title that communicates the subject of their post either that or they are too ..... (mods can't say that).
    10-06-08 12:31 PM
    Nice paper weight. See if you can turn it in to the insurance company for refurb. It was almost new.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-08 12:32 PM
    I normally do not make double posts as they are annoying, but no one answered my other one. and as far as the name, my other one had a title, but i always see a lot more replies to ones that don't have descriptive titles. especially in my personal experience. but thanks for being ... about it when all i was doing was asking for help.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-06-08 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Language, keep it family friendly
    10-06-08 12:44 PM
    I normally do not make double posts as they are annoying, but no one answered my other one. and as far as the name, my other one had a title, but i always see a lot more replies to ones that don't have descriptive titles. especially in my personal experience. but thanks for being ... about it when all i was doing was asking for help.
    I agree. At least give the OP some advice on her situation while ripping a new one. At least Pete6 six did and then ripped a new one....haha. Besides, would the Mods have known it was a duplicate post unless the OP said it was??? We all can be a little nicer about things, just my 2 pennies, not worth much. Oh, good luck getting that BRAND NEW Curve working or sold to another country! I hear Canada is pretty close!
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-06-08 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Language in quote
    10-06-08 12:50 PM
    On the bright side, now you have a spare battery, case, keyboard and LCD display. The only part affected is the logic board.
    10-06-08 01:40 PM
    On the bright side, now you have a spare battery, case, keyboard and LCD display. The only part affected is the logic board.
    Yeah...maybe take it apart and sell the parts on Ebay. Or sell it as a dummy phone! Or sell it on ebay canada or uk
    10-06-08 02:31 PM
    The phone was reported lost and a new phone was given at the price of the deductible (a lot less than the price of the phone) and activated.

The 'lost' phone is now owned by asurion (or whatever insurance co the claim was filed through) and will not be able to be activated.

Anybody how tries or allows the phone to be activated is comitting insurance fraud.

This is done to stop the honest people from 'buying' a phone for $95 and selling it for more.

I hope the insurance co you used doesn't have an affiliate or do business in whatever country you plan to sell your 'lost' phone.

10-07-08 01:12 AM
    In my opinion, if the insurance company didn't ask for the phone, Alltel didn't ask for the phone and nobody else asked for the phone, you can do with that phone whatever ... you like.

Also, she clearly said that she repeated the post because "I did already post this in the Alltel form, but got no answer and am re-posting here in hopes someone will answer!"
    Now just curious, if she talks about re-posting it means clearly that she knows it should not be done and knows the rules. She also did not receive an answer before re-posting. Now everyone is here.
    Was it necessary to ram her with the posting rules ?

Is it so hard to read and analize a post before bursting with words ?

How about being softer and brighter and help people without lecturing them ?

"Hey MaggieMcCoy87 remember re-posting is not allowed". Now don't you think these words are a bit more friendly ?

My 2 cents, as you americans would say.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-07-08 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Language, keep it family friendly
    10-07-08 02:16 AM
    you may want to try contacting the insurance company and see if they would be able to cancel the claim and retrieve the replacment phone and remove your original phone from the negative list. That is probably your best shot.
    10-07-08 02:18 AM
    ... snip

Also, she clearly said that she repeated the post because "I did already post this in the Alltel form, but got no answer and am re-posting here in hopes someone will answer!"
    Now just curious, if she talks about re-posting it means clearly that she knows it should not be done and knows the rules. She also did not receive an answer before re-posting. Now everyone is here.
    Was it necessary to ram her with the posting rules ?
    ... snip
    The problem with this theory is that the OP only waited 20 minutes before reposting.
    10-07-08 06:16 AM
    Although you are right about that and 20 min is not enough time for people to give you an answer, the first answer here came within 5 min and we all know what it says. I'm just saying that people have to lighten up a bit.

10-07-08 10:18 AM
    In my opinion, if the insurance company didn't ask for the phone, Alltel didn't ask for the phone and nobody else asked for the phone, you can do with that phone whatever ... you like.Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Why would the insurance company or carrier ask for a lost or destroyed phone back. They were told it is no longer in the customer's possesion.
    You are right after filing a claim you should be allowed to do what you want with the phone even resell it.
    And if the insurance company wants to file charges for you breaking the law by committing insurance fraud, they are allowed to as well.
    Now that would be a waste of time for them, so they place the ESN, IEMI, MEID, DEC, HEX, PIN or whatever else you want to call it on a denied, negative black list.
    Call your cell's insurance agency and ask them.

Last edited by kwackerAlltelATS; 10-08-08 at 02:58 AM.
    10-08-08 02:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD