Hi im looking to buy a Blackberry Curve 8320, but I had alot of questions about a variety of things and i was hoping a Blackberry Noob could get some advice from Blackberry pro's.

So let me explain my situation first. I currently have a jailbroken Iphone 2g with a Tmobile Sidekick Prepaid Sim Card with the Pay As You Go plan. My reason for changing is the unreliability of a jailbroken phone, it encounters alot of problem, but I need a phone that has wifi access so I can pull up my email while im at my University.

- Blackberry Curve 8320 work with Tmobile Pay As You Go with Prepaid Sim Card?

- No need for unlocking the Blackberry to use the prepaid sim right if im buying a Tmobile Curve 8320?

- Wifi will still work with the prepaid right, I dont need the data plan in order to activate the wifi?

- What about the HotSpot@Home calling?

- I can still check my email using the wifi correct, is it similar to the Iphone where you can just open it up and check it; or does the email on the Blackberry cost money?

- Can i still download apps and games with the wifi?

- I currently have a jailbroken Iphone, I use a Tmobile prepaid sim card in it and it works ok, but I have problems with the signal, my brother has the same problem, its because the Iphone wasnt meant to be used with Tmobile prepaid. So my question was whether or not the Blackberry Curve would have the same problem with bad signals with the prepaid sim?

- Is it easy to update the phone when a new OS version comes up?

- What features would I be missing out of if I were to go with prepaid rather than the data plan other than the internet?

Thank you so much,
    Adam
    09-23-09 03:39 PM
    Your carrier tmobile can answer most of your questions about the pay as you go sim card...

Your wifi should work without a data plan. Updating is easy just check out the stickys on the top of this forum for directions

No data plan you lose carrier perks (not sure what tmobile offers) no push mail, no gps or nav apps.

You should be able to download apps through wifi.
    09-23-09 05:14 PM
    Hi im looking to buy a Blackberry Curve 8320, but I had alot of questions about a variety of things and i was hoping a Blackberry Noob could get some advice from Blackberry pro's.

So let me explain my situation first. I currently have a jailbroken Iphone 2g with a Tmobile Sidekick Prepaid Sim Card with the Pay As You Go plan. My reason for changing is the unreliability of a jailbroken phone, it encounters alot of problem, but I need a phone that has wifi access so I can pull up my email while im at my University.

- Blackberry Curve 8320 work with Tmobile Pay As You Go with Prepaid Sim Card?
    NO...however you can do Tmobile flexpay w/o contract and it will!!!

- No need for unlocking the Blackberry to use the prepaid sim right if im buying a Tmobile Curve 8320?
    Correct....or you could purchase a Bold/storm/tour..unlock it and install service books even and it will work...since currently no 3G with ANY blackberry on TMO

- Wifi will still work with the prepaid right, I dont need the data plan in order to activate the wifi?
    Yes but without a qualifying data plan most 3rd party apps (the good ones) will NOT work
    - What about the HotSpot@Home calling?

Not with prepaid......again with flexpay....which you can do with no credit check......you can

- I can still check my email using the wifi correct, is it similar to the Iphone where you can just open it up and check it; or does the email on the Blackberry cost money?

You could check web based email services with a browser IF you have WiFi available....not pop3 or imap

- Can i still download apps and games with the wifi?
    Yes....all games SHOULD work.....apps hit or miss...most wont

- I currently have a jailbroken Iphone, I use a Tmobile prepaid sim card in it and it works ok, but I have problems with the signal, my brother has the same problem, its because the Iphone wasnt meant to be used with Tmobile prepaid. So my question was whether or not the Blackberry Curve would have the same problem with bad signals with the prepaid sim?

Maybe maybe not....many times older or worn sims WILL affect reception

- Is it easy to update the phone when a new OS version comes up?

Very.....simply spend some time here on the UBER awesome crackberry.com...ask alot of questions and go to your carriers website and learn how to use SEARCH here

- What features would I be missing out of if I were to go with prepaid rather than the data plan other than the internet?

Unlimited Hotpsot/UMA....Apps.....Value Pricing ...Push Email.....Network Supplied Data...

Thank you so much,
    Adam

No problem ....and hope this helps...feel free to ask any other questions...Ill do the best I can or I will get you the answer.......if not me...some of the more experienced folks here who have forgotten more than we all kno

HUGE THANKS TO xTEMPTATIONx for teaching me this info in the first place!!!
    09-23-09 05:22 PM
    Ohh ok so that just kills it, the fact that I cant use my Sidekick Prepaid Sim card in the Blackberry. Thanks so much for the responses, but I had one more question...

What if i got a 8320 and unlocked it, and was added on to my grandma's AT&T plan, could i use that sim card?

The reason I ask is because I dont want to get the 8310 because it has no wifi, I really need the wifi, thanks
    09-23-09 11:12 PM
    Ive decided to go a different route and get added to my grandparents at&t line and get a blackberry there. SO thx for all the replies. I dont kno how to close the topic but its been resolved thxs
    09-24-09 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD