Hi CRACKBERRY!!

New member of the crew. I've had my 8330 for about 3 weeks now. Most solid of the 7 pda phones I have owned.

I am in search of a new bluetooth headset.
    I currently own
    Plantronics Voyager 510
    Cardo Scala 500
    Plantronics Voyager 520
    Samsung WEP200

I have heard some people had been successful at getting x-player to stream audio (radio, music etc.) to their non A2DP bluetooth headsets.

I was planning on picking up a plantronics Voyager 855 simply because it supports A2DP.

My only desire is to listen in Mono anyways, so if xplayer supports this without A2DP then AWESOME. It opens up a great deal more possible options for me.

I have tried the Voyager 510, 520 and Scala 500 and none of them work with the feature. I get a double beep through my earpiece and then a very soft buzz and no other audio.

Has anyone been able to get this feature to work? And if so with what headsets? I especially would like to know if it works with the Plantronics Discovery 925 or the Jawbone 2.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Nick
    Last edited by Black Nick Berry; 07-05-08 at 12:48 AM. Reason: misspell
    07-05-08 12:47 AM
    Really? Xplayer works with my Voyager 520... You sure it isn't a user error?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-08 01:56 AM
    Really? Xplayer works with my Voyager 520... You sure it isn't a user error?

Seriously!! Awesome. I have no idea at all what I could be doing wrong as there isn't really anything to do "wrong"
    I tried every profile option in xplayer (bluetooth, headset, handsfree etc.)
    I have rebooted, tried both versions of x-player (beta and current) What else could it be?

I hate to even consider the thought, but could it be that my Curve is from Verizon?? Somewhat notorious for blocking all things cool and good on their phones. I just can't think of what else it would be?

Nick
    07-05-08 03:10 AM
    That would be funny if it was a carrier block...

Find a friend on T-mobile or AT&T and try it.
    07-05-08 03:42 AM
    Also welcome to crackberry.com
    07-05-08 03:44 AM
    i have an insigna set of head phone with dual ear phone it works prefect with the xplayer and is in stereo.
    07-05-08 06:28 AM
    While it is nice to hear that Verizon has honored it's claim to support A2DP, I am still hoping to get xplayer to work with a mono headset.

It seems current headsets excel at one thing each, but there is yet to be a headset that excels at all things.

I like the voyager 855 in that it supports A2DP, but would prefer a different unit for voice. For voice, the Jawbone 2 and the Discovery 925 have very solid reviews, but neither supports A2DP.

I have further tested my combination and the bluetooth portal is definitly being opened by xplayer (Confirmed by playing a song and then stepping away from my phone with my earpiece on, at 20 feet there is the normal bluetooth crackle) So the gateway/portal from the phone to the headset is indeed open, but NO SOUND! Very odd.

More and more I am led to believe it is a Verizon block. Perhaps this bluetooth portal (v 1.1 headset or 1.5 hands-free) can also be used to transfer data and thus Verizon has blocked it? I can't think of any other logical reason for this not to work for my setup but to work for others on different carriers.

Is there anyone out there with a Verizon BB that has this function of xplayer working with a mono headset?

Nick
    Last edited by Black Nick Berry; 07-05-08 at 01:01 PM.
    07-05-08 10:45 AM
    Have you considered a Jabra BT8040?
    07-05-08 01:14 PM
    Thank you for the BT8040 suggestion. I have read a bit about it. What I took from reviews was that it was a superior music headset, but that the plantronics 855 was superior in phone quality. For my use phone must come first, with music a fun bonus.

Do you have the BT8040? If so what are your thoughts? If not have you heard similar as I in regards to music and phone quality?

Nick
    07-05-08 02:11 PM
    I checked a few bitpim and blackberry forums and I could see no mention of any Verizon Curves getting mono bluetooth to work with xplayer.

That, and the lack of response on here makes me think Verizon has $crewed the pooch yet again.

I am getting tired of Verizon. When I got my Pearl the big let down was that they locked the GPS, I expected that with the 8330 but now it appears they are back to partially crippling bluetooth too . . . . . I am bummed

I am going ot go ahead and order a voyager 855 tomorrow.

I will let everyone know how it goes and if I find a workaround for xplayer and Verizon.
    07-05-08 09:02 PM
    Have you considered a Jabra BT8040?
    As I went to purchase the voyager 855, I realized I confused two headsets. When you mentioned the BT8040 I was thinking of the BT8010. I will definitely look into the BT8040 and sorry for the confusion.

Nick
    07-05-08 09:31 PM
    Sorry posted in the wrong xplayer thread.
    07-06-08 11:01 AM
    Jut FYI for everyone, I ordered a BT8040 last night. I will report back on how it functions.

Nick
    07-06-08 01:22 PM
    520 worlks fine for me with xplayer.

Floyd

07-06-08 03:04 PM
    If you want THE BEST bluetooh headset for making phone calls then buy a Jawbone 2. It has digital noise reduction and I can use it in my car with the a/c and the CD playing and the other party is unaware of them.

The audio quality is poor for anything apart from speech however so I have my studio set of Sennheiser headphones for listening.

Last Saurday I did a gig for 700 peopole outside. I hade my sound system set up for about 6,000 watts and I used the BlackBerry to play music during the intervals between acts, it worked just great using MP3s.

07-06-08 03:47 PM
    520 worlks fine for me with xplayer.

Floyd

This more or less confirms my concern, that being that it is specific to Verizon 8330's

I have heard from a couple Pearl/Curve users that the xplayer/mono bluetooth, works with their headset. The fact that TWO of you are using the Plantronics 520 with this combo and yet the same headset does not work for me, confirms it as a Verizon problem for me.

Thank you for your input, this way I am not wasting time trying something that isn't going to work.

Nick
    07-06-08 04:04 PM
    If you want THE BEST bluetooh headset for making phone calls then buy a Jawbone 2. It has digital noise reduction and I can use it in my car with the a/c and the CD playing and the other party is unaware of them.

The audio quality is poor for anything apart from speech however so I have my studio set of Sennheiser headphones for listening.

Last Saurday I did a gig for 700 peopole outside. I hade my sound system set up for about 6,000 watts and I used the BlackBerry to play music during the intervals between acts, it worked just great using MP3s.

I appreciate your input. I hear the Jawbone 2 is a truly excellent headset. The problem for me is that unlike you I won't be able to switch between two headsets. I wish to use this during my work day. On a typical work day I take between 30 and 40 calls, so switching between two headsets would difficult.

Thank you for the thoughts. AWESOME that you used your blackberry for music at a gig!!
    07-06-08 04:08 PM
    I appreciate your input. I hear the Jawbone 2 is a truly excellent headset. The problem for me is that unlike you I won't be able to switch between two headsets. I wish to use this during my work day. On a typical work day I take between 30 and 40 calls, so switching between two headsets would difficult.

Thank you for the thoughts. AWESOME that you used your blackberry for music at a gig!!
    I would not then advise the Jawbone because the reduced bandwidth that it enforces to get superior voice communications will sound cr^p for music.

Using the Blackberry on the sound system was an act of desperation. No one had any music. I had never tried the Blackberry on anyting but my home stereo. I played a Pink Floyd track, High Hopes which was MP3 encoded at 192kbps and the quality blew me away. I am used to using very high power sound systems of up to 12'500 watts. I used to design tube amps and Hifi speaker cabinets and require a very high quality sound. The BlackBerry was clearly not as good as a well recorded vinyl or a live piano or giutar but it was as good as any other MP3 device that I have heard.
    07-07-08 03:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD