I have had my spiffy new Blackberry Curve for 6 weeks now. Out of the blue the device will not charge. Next to the battery charge indicator it shows a black plug and states "low battery". I tried everything and phoned my provider who sent me a new phone (well, refurbished actually after paying $400 and owning it for only 6 weeks but that's another story). I bought a new wall charger just to be on the safe side and was all excited to get a phone since I need it for business. Well, same thing is happening. I turned on the phone and a big battery appeared with a blue zig zag through it and then indicated low battery with that dreaded black plug showing and no green charging light. I phoned "technical support" and I might as well have asked my 6 yr old to fix it. Could it be the battery and not the device? Anyone else have this problem. I will be FUMING if I have to wait another five days for a phone...Any helpful hints...Technical support just want me to keep sending the phone back....
    06-24-08 10:17 PM
    Some simple questions..

When you replaced your phone did you keep the original battery or did they give you a new one? Yes batteries can be bad.

Have you tried the plug with a small night light? Are you sure the plug you are using for the charger is working?

Do you own a rabbit or some other small rodent that might love chewing on the small cable?

It sounds like you have hit all the high spots with a new phone and a new charger. Time to think outside the box?

Tom
    Last edited by dagda1; 06-24-08 at 10:25 PM.
    06-24-08 10:23 PM
    Original battery, have walked around the house using different plugs and no rodents.
    06-24-08 10:28 PM
    Some simple questions..

When you replaced your phone did you keep the original battery or did they give you a new one? Yes batteries can be bad.

Have you tried the plug with a small night light? Are you sure the plug you are using for the charger is working?

Do you own a rabbit or some other small rodent that might love chewing on the small cable?

It sounds like you have hit all the high spots with a new phone and a new charger. Time to think outside the box?

Tom
    Dagda seems to be on the right track, the problem seems to be either a battery issue or a charger issue.
    06-24-08 10:45 PM
    I have a similar problem with my Sprint 8330. When I plug my phone into the wall charger, it will absolutely not charge. The charging indicator goes on and off if I wiggle the wire, however. When this happened, I decided to try the USB wire charger that connects to my computer. With this wire, I am able to charge the phone flawlessly, it works as it should. Does this indicate a problem with the phone or the wall charger?
    06-24-08 11:02 PM
    Come to think of it...Should a battery be lasting more than 12 hrs? I remember the battery lasting a couple of days when I first got it. Lately I had to charge it every night otherwise it would be low by mid afternoon of the next day...I will check the battery tomorrow...
    06-24-08 11:45 PM
    If I am not surfing all day or using the TeleNav I usually end the day at about 60-80% battery remaining. So the battery could be your problem.

For cocotazo245 I would think this looks like a problem with the charger. Just to make sure you can't recreate the problem by wiggling the USB cable from the PC can you? That would indicate a problem in the phone's USB port perhaps. If charging from the PC is great then charger looks suspect.
    Last edited by dagda1; 06-25-08 at 12:08 AM. Reason: add comment for cocotazo245
    06-25-08 12:03 AM
    I know this has already been covered, but it happened to me.
    The wall switch in my bedroom shuts down the power to the plug that I had my BB plugged into.
    Never noticed it because I would test it with the lights on. Duh
    06-25-08 12:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD