so yesterday i upgraded to the leaked 5.0 (i doubt this matters) and everything was working fine. now today i went to charge my phone, and it wouldnt charge at all.

wondering if it was the 5.0, i went back to 4.5, and it still wont charge. i know the USB port is fine, because when i plug it into my laptop, i can sync it and enable mass storage mode, so its connecting, but no matter what i plug it into (car, wall, USB) the phone wont start charging.

i would try another battery, but i dont want to end up spending the money on one if thats not the problem, since i'm eligible for an upgrade here in a few months.

the only thing i've noticed is that the battery, and phone itself seemed to get quite warm to the touch, much hotter than i had ever remembered.

any suggestions? and thanks in advance for the help guys (and gals)
    01-16-10 11:50 PM
    Could be a bad battery if, when trying to charge, it gets very hot.

Have your battery tested.
    01-17-10 07:41 AM
    I bought an OEM battery off ebay and when i got it, it wasn't OEM (Hong Kong, duh) but when I used it, it works just as good as my OEM one. Didn't have any problems and I've been using it for a good 4-5 months. Other than getting a new battery, you could downgrade to 4.5 and then try to service your phone?
    01-17-10 06:04 PM
    Take a close look at the USB port on your BB, look for a bent wire,pin. The other possibility is that the there might be something wrong with the charging circuit in the phone.

You might want to reload the 4.5 OS on your phone anyway, since if the reloading of the OS doesn't fix your problem, you are looking at doing a warranty exchange, insurance claim on it.
    01-17-10 06:31 PM
    i reloaded 4.5 last night and i still had the problem. it seems that its charging, but extremely slowly. it took about 24 hours to fully charge it.

as for warranty or insurance, i'm not covered by either anymore, since i changed the houseing on my phone ages ago. looks like i'm going to have to deal with this for a few months til i upgrade
    01-18-10 12:59 AM
    I still suspect there is a bent wire in the usb port that is not making contact, or intermittent contact. The data pins are ok, that's why you can sync and do backups.

You might just need to use a charging dock to charge from now on. Lucky they are cheap now.
    01-18-10 05:17 AM
    I can't imagine the OS having anyting to do with the charging.
    01-18-10 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD