I have a Curve that I bought new and is on day 31 of 30 day return window for AT&T. It happened once before and again last night. I have no flash card installed and have not downloaded any programs other then two ringtones.

My battery was probably 1/2 or higher remaining. It turned itself off last night (sometime???) and in order to turn back on, I had to take out the battery and put it back in and power on. It gives the hourglass while it reboots.

When it comes back up, the battery was virtually empty and red and needed charging. Everything works fine.

I am going to AT&T and see if they know what is going on. I don't want a refurbed one only 1 day over 30 days.

Does anyone know what is causing this or know of resolutions? Or is this normal since these PDA phones are like mini PCs? Thoughts?

Thanks.
    09-15-08 12:23 PM
    Sounds like you might have a bad battery. I'd replace that first and see if that solves your problem.
    09-15-08 01:18 PM
    I am heading to AT & T after work today in a few hours and see what they say. I also am going to turn off the Auto On/Off feature and turn it off by hand and see what happens. I only run that on the weekends and the weekdays I leave it on overnight every night.

Do you think it needs to turn off once a night for maybe updates?

Thanks.
    09-15-08 02:16 PM
    I wish that was the case. Unlike Windows, BlackBerry does not offer remote updates, just yet.

Mine is set to Auto Off from 11:00 PM to 8:00 AM. I have not experienced that problem after setting the option.

I have experienced it after leaving it on overnight. In the morning, it will not turn on with the power key.

Plugging it into the charger reveals a near dead battery with all the radios shut down.

09-15-08 03:32 PM
    I stopped by AT&T and had them give me a new battery and it will be done with it's 6 hours of charging at 11pm tonight. Per AT&T, I actually have until the 17th to swap it out at the store and not get a refurb.

I apparently only had the phone to turn off on the weekends and not the weekdays after reviewing the Auto On/Off features.

I have thus set my Auto On/Off features to turn off at 11pm and turn on at 6am both weekdays and weekends. I find it interesting that when you power down daily, you have no issues, but when you leave it on, you have experienced it before.

Does the phone memory get "jammed" up or "full" from operating and maybe like a PC, needs reboot from time to time?

I will keep everyone posted on what happens. It would be great to see if it does it again tomorrow otherwise, it might be hard to duplicate since it has only occured 2x in a month. Ugh!

More to come.
    09-15-08 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD