So, I am reading the new PC Magazine, and on page 81, under "RIM BlackBerry OS", is says plainly "Just as we went to press, Research In Motion released BlackBerry OS 4.5, which adds a slew of features including a complete copy of DataViz Documents To Go for BlackBerry. To get the free update, head over to DubyaDubyaDubya*dawt*DiscoverBlackberry*dawtcom/software and grab a copy; you'll be glad you did."

What gives??? Am I missing something? Or did PC Mag jump the gun?
    04-23-08 06:09 PM
    They got a sneak peek I am guessing.

they say upcoming.....

The upcoming BlackBerry 4.5 software will vault your Pearls and Curves into the top ranks of multimedia devices. We got RIM to explain, model by model and server by server, what the new software will give existing BlackBerry owners. (Version 4.5 used to be called 4.3.1, if you're really plumbed into the BlackBerry landscape.)
    04-23-08 06:18 PM
    well if its out I cant find it anywhere?? Thats weird that PC mag would say that, then the OS is nowhere to be found

Jim
    04-23-08 06:35 PM
    They got a sneak peek I am guessing.

they say upcoming.....

The upcoming BlackBerry 4.5 software will vault your Pearls and Curves into the top ranks of multimedia devices. We got RIM to explain, model by model and server by server, what the new software will give existing BlackBerry owners. (Version 4.5 used to be called 4.3.1, if you're really plumbed into the BlackBerry landscape.)
    I'm not seeing that part in the article? Where is that?

I'm talking about the actual Magazine, BTW (May 2008).

I typed exactly what it said. Dang you PC Magazine!!! Thank God I was reading it while already on the toilet, or I would have peed myself!
    04-23-08 06:40 PM
    Hurry up RIM!
    04-23-08 06:40 PM
    04-23-08 06:44 PM
    'Hurry up RIM' is an understatement.
    04-23-08 06:44 PM
    Okay you mean May 2008 I have not got to picking it up yet, but nothing online, they only have april. The article is from 2/2008 sorry. I will have to pick up May issue.
    04-23-08 06:48 PM
    Okay you mean May 2008 I have not got to picking it up yet, but nothing online, they only have april. The article is from 2/2008 sorry. I will have to pick up May issue.
    Yeah, it's a pretty decent issue thus far. I got it in the mail yesterday. I haven't read much as of yet.

But it's there, on page 81! They know something we don't know!
    04-23-08 06:53 PM
    Can you scan in the article, until I run out and get it.
    would be interesting for all of us to see.
    04-23-08 06:55 PM
    Can you scan in the article, until I run out and get it.
    would be interesting for all of us to see.
    It's kinda long, and only a few paragraphs are about BlackBerry. The second paragraph talks about BBSmart and the third about JiveTalk. Then the rest of the article is about Windows Mobile, Java Feature Phones, the iPhone, Palm OS, and Symbian OS. It's called "Schooling Your Smartphone". This issue is definitely focused towards mobile devices and notebooks.
    04-23-08 06:58 PM
    Looks like someone jumped the gun...
    04-23-08 07:02 PM
    Okay I will definitely check it out.
    04-23-08 07:02 PM
    I have this issue and saw that article it does say that as they went to print RIM released the new OS. But I just though I was dumb and couldn't find so I was just waiting for it to be all over Crackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-08 07:47 PM
    Magazines typically talk about future events as if they have already happened. In theory, the majority of the readers will buy the magazine on the stand after the event in question actually happens.

Isn't os 4.5 supposed to come out by May 1? That would mean the magazine is spot on accurate.
    04-23-08 07:49 PM
    Magazines typically talk about future events as if they have already happened. In theory, the majority of the readers will buy the magazine on the stand after the event in question actually happens.

Isn't os 4.5 supposed to come out by May 1? That would mean the magazine is spot on accurate.
    Maybe, but it was also supposed to come out on April 8th, sometime in March, February, the first of the year, it was even rumored at being released last December if I remember correctly...
    04-23-08 10:57 PM
    either they jumped the gun or RIM pushed things back.

NICE it also says HTML emails are a server side update meaning that we'll get it afterwards and its not just out of the picture for this release. Its not part of the handheld upgrades which is why we wont see it on the betas
    Last edited by Jackal; 04-23-08 at 11:27 PM.
    04-23-08 11:25 PM
    "official" sources have said mid to late April since mid 2007. You may have seen some posts that said December but rumors are just that, rumors.

It's a race between XP SP3 and BB OS 4.5.
    04-23-08 11:45 PM

It's a race between XP SP3 and BB OS 4.5.
    XP SP3 wins then, because full working copies are easily available for download now.

OS 4.5 on the other hand, still only betas floating around.
    04-24-08 01:54 AM
    Yeah, it's a pretty decent issue thus far. I got it in the mail yesterday. I haven't read much as of yet.

But it's there, on page 81! They know something we don't know!
    I think that it is the reverse of what you say, WE know something that they don't!

I do not know the lead time from article to print for PC-Mag but it must surely be a couple of weeks. Ou lead time here on CB is, at times, measured in seconds. Also the OS is not in out loving hands officially.

Further I think that RIM have had a last minute problem with 4.5. This may be technical or it may be with carrier or even FCC appproval.

RIM is not a massivly large company and the have 4.5 and the new 9000 series phones to deveolo. tHey have to be stretched right now.

What is clear, OS 4.5's release is imminent.

I wonder what these forums are gonna look like two days after the release?

With no disrespect intended, Crashberry!
    04-24-08 03:42 AM
    The date of the PC-Mag article is 1st February 2008.
    04-24-08 04:25 AM
    The date of the PC-Mag article is 1st February 2008.
    Not the article in the actual MAGAZINE???

That would make no sense...
    04-24-08 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD