I haven't found a post anywhere online to answer my specific questions so I'm sorry if it's redundant...:

1) Must you have BES rather than BIS service to use desktop manager to sync outlook 03 messages? Currently the option is grayed out, and I had no problems syncing the rest of the stuff (calendar, etc).

I have BIS, hence the question... Right now I'm trying this all out w/ my gmail acct that I use via IMAP.

I can still do quite a lot since my bb actions are synced wirelessly to my outlook IMAP gmail account, but the desktop manager messages sync option would be great =).

2) I've used POP3 for gmail until today (changed to IMAP for new BB), so I am not clear how IMAP functions w/ bb.... I understand that BB is essentially receiving a copy of the real emails on the server (hence delete in outlook doesn't delete on BB...), but from what i read about IMAP in general, isn't the POINT of IMAP so that if i were to take an action in outlook (or any access point at all) it should update it on my bb (or all the other access points)?

Isn't that how items i delete within BB are deleted in my outlook? so granted my explanation of essentially forwarding a copy of the email to the bb from the server, why dont deletes in outlook become reflected on my bb?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by coolguy; 01-05-08 at 08:46 AM.
    01-05-08 08:35 AM
    I have wanted to know this as well and haven't been able to find a good explanation. Thanks for posting this. Also what are the advantages to going to IMAP over POP3
    01-05-08 09:06 AM
    as far as i understand:

IMAP is more efficient when you want to access your server's emails from various access points (like a bunch of diff computers each using outlook). any action you take on one computer affects the files on the server, therefore automatically updating the outlook accounts on your other computers.

With POP, your emails are being downloaded onto your computer when you receive an email, so the email is deleted from your server (assuming your server doesn't have option to keep a copy). Therefore, any action you take is done onto the files on THAT computer, NOT your server, so you don't see your changes on another computer's outlook program.

With me, i used pop 3 because i just use my laptop and carry it around. but w/ my new bb, i changed to IMAP.

Also with GMAIL: you can download the gmail app for your bb (sorry crackberry wont let me post link but you can go to google.com/gmail and click on mobile) By having it installed on your BB with IMAP connection, all my problems are technically taken care of from my original post. However, i guess i wanted the solution bc i have a bunch of other pop3 accounts i want to transfer over and this solution doesn't work if the email provider (ie my schools) do not offer mobile apps =P
    Last edited by coolguy; 01-05-08 at 09:23 AM.
    01-05-08 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD