Hi all, first post here. I am awaiting FEDEX to bring my new curve from Verizon. Should be here tomorrow 5/20/09. I was wanting to know what version of the OS should I install on my brand new phone. I noticed the blackberry homepage has version 4.5 on their site. I see a few versions "posted as sticky's" on here.

Can someone please advise me in what I should do as I open it up and activate it tomorrow. Should I install the new OS before I do anything else to the phone? Updating a brand new phone will not void any warranty or anything will it?

Thanks in advance!!
    05-19-09 07:32 PM
    Run the .77 OS that comes on the phone for a while. Read the Blackberry 101 Lecture Series, then read this thread for the pros and cons of the two latest OSs for the 8330 Curve.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/cou...al-vzw-228676/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 07:37 PM
    xliderider, thanks for the quick reply.

Am I correct that the Verizon curve 8330 comes with 4.3 OS. So is the .77 OS you refer to a version of 4.3 or 4.5. The reason I ask is, if the standard Verizon curve comes with 4.3, can I not upgrade to the "Official" 4.5 software first thing out of the box?

Again thanks for the help!!
    05-19-09 07:54 PM
    I believe the Curve will come with 4.5.0.77 out of the box.

If it comes with 4.3 then I would just upgrade to 4.5.0.131 or 4.5.0.138 directly.

05-19-09 07:58 PM
    msu-

the vzw curve I got in the last month shipped with OS 4.5.0.77

yours will undoubtably arrive bearing the same. As suggested, use it for a while and get comfortable with it before you go and update the OS.

enjoy the curve. and welcome to crackberry.

-db
    05-19-09 07:59 PM
    MSU, read the BB 101 link in my sig below for lots of good information.
    05-19-09 08:06 PM
    Thanks for the help!
    05-20-09 07:19 AM
    .77 works fine, but you may experience the infamous speaker blast issue. Once you're comfortable with installing non-Verizon upgrades and don't mind voiding your warrant, then version .131 will solve that issue.
    05-20-09 08:19 AM
    Hey stupid question .77 works great. What are some pros for the betas

05-20-09 08:24 AM
    How do you upgrade the version that you already have anyways, is there a site to go too? I have the 4.3 and would like to update to a newer version, I've had my blackberry for about a year now it'll be a year in July. I've never had any problems but I've noticed with the newer version some apps are only compatible with the 4.5 version or higher. I worry my blackberry will not be able to keep up with newer material. Can someone help me to understand the difference as well? Thanks!

05-20-09 08:45 AM
    I wasn't sure if I should upgrade from vzw .77 to .131 or .138 until iread this thread and I'm glad I did!

Just upgraded to .131 and the real difference is in freed up memory!

Went from 35 megs free to 45 megs free.

I didn't see any other significant differences other than that!

Are there any other features that I should know about, like, "NO NOT THAT BUTTON...KABOOMB"

Great links in this thread that made the upgrade flawlss!

Thanks all

05-20-09 10:48 AM
    First of all, I'm no expert, as this is my first BB. But I have done alot of reading on this site already, and by the grace of God, have at least some learned technical ability. I just got my 8330 from VZW about two wedeks ago. I updated it to .138, and have overall been happy with it. If you read through that thread linked a couple of comments above, someone claims it will not void your warranty (I hope this is true) Just, as they said, do alot of research before you try. Hope this helps!
    05-21-09 09:03 PM
    That is correct, upgrading to one of the "leaked" OS's won't "void" your warranty, technically...
    If you call your carrier they can refuse to work on it if they know you have
    .131 running...but then again the "techies" in the stores probably won't know to look what version you're running anyway...

But no matter what version you have on your phone it DOES NOT void the manufacturers warranty for damage, etc..

So you can always downgrade back to .77 if you need to take it into the store to have it looked at/worked on etc...
    05-21-09 11:11 PM
    Why does everyone refer to "leaked" OS versions?

They are perfectly legit, just that they have been released on various carriers from around the world.

05-21-09 11:36 PM
    Why does everyone refer to "leaked" OS versions?

They are perfectly legit, just that they have been released on various carriers from around the world.

You are correct and I take back the "leaked" terminology...I'm still getting used to a superior device in the curve as I'm coming from the storm and 75% of our OS upgrades were Leaks...my bad!!!
    05-21-09 11:52 PM
    Thanks rgustafson85...that's good to know. I'm trying to research as much as possible on here before I do anything, but I'm glad thats there just in case>

Btw, been searching around and haven't seen anything about this yet, but for the last few days my BBM will stop sending messages halfway through a conversation with my fiance'. I get the clock (which I understand is supposed to mean she's busy), but she says she's sitting on the other end waiting for my reply. Any of you seen this, or know a real fix?
    Last edited by newlife09; 05-22-09 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention this....
    05-22-09 04:38 PM
    Thanks rgustafson85...that's good to know. I'm trying to research as much as possible on here before I do anything, but I'm glad thats there just in case>
    NP...I just got my curve, via FedEx, today...first thing I did was take it out of the box and upgrade it to the .131 OS...been doing alot of reading and it seems there are too many issues with the .138 OS...

Plus it's very easy to go back to .77 if I need too...

Hope you're liking your Curve as much as I am in such a short amount of time.
    05-22-09 04:42 PM
    Dang it, wont let me quote till 10 post...lol. I love it. It's funny cause I swore up and down I'd never do the smartphone thing...I mean hey, it's just a phone, right?! )

Well, long story short I added my fiance' on my plan, she wanted one, got one BOGO.....ahem, I am officially addicted. I love it! Will probably be a BB user for a while. Took a bit to get used to, but blows away any other phone I've used.

I think I'll might try downgrading to .131. Seems like you said, less bugs. Btw, check out the edit on my previous post and lemme know if you have any ideas. Thanks!
    05-22-09 04:49 PM
    Dang it, wont let me quote till 10 post...lol. I love it. It's funny cause I swore up and down I'd never do the smartphone thing...I mean hey, it's just a phone, right?! )

Well, long story short I added my fiance' on my plan, she wanted one, got one BOGO.....ahem, I am officially addicted. I love it! Will probably be a BB user for a while. Took a bit to get used to, but blows away any other phone I've used.

I think I'll might try downgrading to .131. Seems like you said, less bugs. Btw, check out the edit on my previous post and lemme know if you have any ideas. Thanks!
    I have no clue about the BBM issue you have...I do notice sometime that if someone in my messenger list is "available" and I send them a message it takes a bit for them to actually get the message...don't know if that has something to do with the network or what not...wish I had more info for you...I'm sure one of the "experts" here has more insight into the problem.
    05-22-09 04:55 PM
    That's cool. I appreciate it either way. I'm still searching around to see if it's already out there somewhere...just ALOT of info to go through.
    05-22-09 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD