ok guys im pretty new to the whole crackberry world so i need ur help
    i have an 8310 on at&t im running the stock os that comes with the curve
    so i guess my question is it worth upgrading to 4.5 .81 or even .93
    i ask because the stock os is stable wit no lag at all but i want to know if its worth upgrading and is 4.5 pretty stable
    help! please
    10-10-08 12:56 PM
    I think it is, however, dependig on how comfortable you are with upgrading or even using your device and knowing all its bells and whistles, I wouldnt do it if I was JUST getting it, or whatever
    10-10-08 12:59 PM
    Rachel is right, you dont wanna go messing with stuff you know nothing about or are even comfortable with yet. you could end up in a bad situation with a nuked berry. i like the new os, and would recommend it, but get to know your berry first
    10-10-08 01:01 PM
    If you are new to the device, take some time. To get to know ur phone and the upgrade procedures. Lectures 101 is a good place to start. You don't want to brick your berry. But if you are compfortable with your device and how it works, then I would say yes go ahead and upgrade to 4.5

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-08 01:02 PM
    I would wait, just a little longer.

BlackBerry has created an automatic upgrade procedure. It works perfectly now on the test carriers.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software

As soon as your carrier signs on, it will work for you too.
    10-10-08 01:03 PM
    Lol wow we have all said the same thing, we have answered this question to many times lol geeshhh

10-10-08 01:03 PM
    263 Viewing
    What that many of us, poised to just on our favorite kind of question, I am not surprised.

That does not even count the high proportion of guests that are currently viewing, a couple of thousand.
    10-10-08 01:08 PM
    HaHa how true

10-10-08 01:10 PM
    Reed, am I to understand that there will soon be a less-complicated
    method to upgrade phone software? I am currently running Alltel 4.3,
    and I feel that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it,' but I would upgrade if it
    were a simpler procedure.
    10-10-08 01:21 PM
    I upgraded for the video feature, however I LOVE the HTML e-mail.
    10-10-08 01:29 PM
    Reed, am I to understand that there will soon be a less-complicated
    method to upgrade phone software? I am currently running Alltel 4.3,
    and I feel that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it,' but I would upgrade if it
    were a simpler procedure.
    Yes.

Upgrading the millions of consumer BlackBerry out there is a big job. I cringe at the thought of all the frustration it would cause if they all tried to do it manually.

BlackBerry has build a set of web pages that control the whole process. You plug your BlackBerry in, click on a button and sit back.

When it is done, you will have a freshly updated BlackBerry with all of your data, settings and third party applications on the new OS.

If anything goes wrong, you will have immediate technical response from the support geeks at BlackBerry.

Mine went smoothly, I am tempted to roll it back, introduce some "issues" and try it again.

As soon as your carrier signs on, it will work for you too.
    10-10-08 02:28 PM
    This is fantastic news !
    Now, how will I know when my carrier (Alltel) signs on?
    Thanks for the info !
    10-10-08 02:39 PM
    I can't believe how many times this question has been asked and answered. I'm about to unsubscribe to this forum. Nobody seems to use the search feature and 80% of in messages are about the same thing. This person has the gall to ask "everyone" to help. Help yourself and use the search function and maybe the message count will go down and the usefullness of the forum will go up.
    10-10-08 02:52 PM
    Sorry to hear you feel that way.

We are blessed to be the place of choice for many new BlackBerry owners to ask the kind of questions that are on their mind.

It may well be a frequent topic of past conversations, but the new poster was not here for those discussions. The new poster deserves an answer to their question, that is how people learn best.

There are times a few choice words will answer the question, other times a link to a more detailed discussion in a thread work best.

There is another factor in play. In addition to the nearly 800 registered members present, there are nearly 3000 guests browsing their way through. They are also asking those questions and getting the answers they are looking for.

This is a medium for getting the message through to the 25,000 new BlackBerry subscribers, every day.
    10-10-08 04:07 PM
    Sorry to hear you feel that way.

We are blessed to be the place of choice for many new BlackBerry owners to ask the kind of questions that are on their mind.

It may well be a frequent topic of past conversations, but the new poster was not here for those discussions. The new poster deserves an answer to their question, that is how people learn best.

There are times a few choice words will answer the question, other times a link to a more detailed discussion in a thread work best.

There is another factor in play. In addition to the nearly 800 registered members present, there are nearly 3000 guests browsing their way through. They are also asking those questions and getting the answers they are looking for.

This is a medium for getting the message through to the 25,000 new BlackBerry subscribers, every day.
    very well said
    10-10-08 04:12 PM
    Nobody would argue about the "intent" of these forums. Lord knows that I have needed help many times and usually found it on this and other Blackberry forums. My point was that there is a search function that seems to be ignored. Before I ask a question I feel it is my responsibility to search the forum and see if my question has been answered, that way I learn as I go along and it doesn't fill the forum with redunant questions. There is no doubt that upgrading the os for the first time is pretty scary proposition but the proper way to do it, along with the benefits of upgrading to 4.5, has been answered, in detail, about 25 times. In order to do my due diligence I have to ready all 25 just to make certain that I didn't miss anything. Takes alot of time and is usually confusing. We have stickies dealing with the upgrade, let's put our effort into making sure that they are complete, rather than starting a new thread everytime a newbie decides to upgrade and rather than use the sticky or the search function, starts a new thread. The moderator should answer these type of questions with a short reply to see the sticky and then close it.

As long as I'm on my soapbox........I also believe that the forums would be helped if the moderators would challenge some of the responses people make, such as, "upgrading the a beta os will void your warranty", as I posted in another thread, this is not true but the fact that it was posted and not challenged is confusing.

This is a great forum but that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved with a little effort on all of our parts.
    10-10-08 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD