I am a new BB owner (Curve 8310, T Mobile UK) and so far have managed to pretty much figure out what I want my BB to do. I have inherited the phone second hand and I feel that it was a little neglected by the last owner! I have managed to clean up the applications, removed whats not necessary, got my contacts in, sorted out my messages, got a more user friendly theme etc. But I have 2 questions I need some experienced advice on (I hope they are not v basic and sorry if they are!).

One thing I am not sure about is the OS. When I check Options> About> it shows V4.2.2.181 (platform 2.5.0.35). From what I have read here this seems to be quite an old OS. I understand I need to update this but am I ok to just update it to the newest version, or should I do it in stages - one update at a time? I am waiting for the data cable to be sent to me in the mail so whilst I am waiting for this can I do this OTA? (Yes I am impatient!)

Also the housing on my new baby is very scratched and needs to be replaced. I have seen conflicting ideas as to whether this is something do-able at home. I have watched videos on You Tube and it seems like something I could do, but if it went wrong what is the worst case scenario? I think the warranty is already void because it has been unlocked to accept a sim from all networks so voiding the warranty isnt too much of a concern for me. But of course I do not want to completely break the thing!

Thanks for any information, you guys seem v knowledgable I hope in time I will get there too!
    11-06-09 06:38 AM
    As far as the os goes, you can update to the newest. No need to do it in stages. You can either go with an official os or run a hybrid os which is what I would recommend. They run better. As far as housing it is a pretty easy swap, worst case scenario I've seen is the headphone jack not working afterwards. But if you just replace the front and back you shouldn't have to worry about that. Well hope this helps in your quest! Good luck!

Oh and one more thing about the housing, make sure the one you get is f
    or an 8310. An 8330 housing is a little different and as far as I know, won't fit properly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by OmegaF150; 11-06-09 at 08:44 AM.
    11-06-09 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD