So I successfully updated to 4.5.0.52 and I love it so far.

Well, other than every time I try to access my pictures I've added to my 4 GB media card it freezes the device up and I have to pull the battery.

What I've done in order to try and make it coincide with updating to the 4.5 OS is to back up all my pics and music from the media card on my PC, format the card using the BB and then transfer all the music and pics back via Windows File Explorer. I just copy and paste them from the place I backed them up over to the "F" drive in My Computer. I put them in their respective folders and then disconnect the device from the PC. I open up Media on my BB and scroll over to pics. Open that up and click on "My Pictures". As soon as I attempt this it freezes the BB completely, I've let it sit for 10 minutes and nothing happens.

Any help is appreciated!
    07-14-08 11:32 PM
    Update...

After formatting the card with the BB and putting the media back on I did a battery pull. Now the phone won't get past the at&t splash screen with the 4GB media card installed.

As soon as I pulled it out and put the battery back in it booted up just fine.
    07-14-08 11:40 PM
    I have not had this problem but many others had. Check out this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/os-...ia-card-43159/
    07-14-08 11:43 PM
    Hrmmm thanks Garz, unfortunately most people over there have luck formatting and putting their stuff back on it.

I tried that and it won't boot at all now.
    07-14-08 11:50 PM
    Another update...

I removed the media card, booted the device, went into options and disabled media card support. Pulled the battery, reinstalled the media card and booted back up just fine due to the support being off for the card. Went back into options and re-enabled media card support and formatted again. Took a couple pics with the camera and made sure it was able to save and read to and from the card and it was.

It seems as though it's something with how windows puts the files on the card through explorer. Now, what are other ways of putting files on the media card without copying and pasting in Windows Explorer?
    07-15-08 12:06 AM
    So I emailed myself a picture and downloaded it to the same folder on the media card where I had the pictures before.

It works fine. It has to be something with Windows and how it places that files on the card.
    07-15-08 12:23 AM
    How large are the file sizes on these pics?

Also, you can load using MediaManager! Try using MediaManager to load the pictures onto your microSD... then report back with how that works.

1)Format Card
    2)Connect to PC
    3)Load pics with MediaManager

There should be a prompt to ask you if you would like to optimize the pics for your device. Say yes If it does not ask, then do not worry about it

Hope that helps!

*If that works, and the Window's Explorer does not... then it narrows it down to either Windows Explorer or the size of the file. MediaManager can"optimize the files for your device" and reduce the file sizes, etc... so we will see*
    07-15-08 09:34 AM
    It can't be the size since I was able to take one of the exact pictures I wasn't able to access and put it on there through downloading and access it.

The sizes of the pics I was attempting to add thru Windows ranged from 500k to 1.1 MB.

Gah, I don't even load Roxio any more since they offer the build without it.

I guess I'll download and reinstall DM and report back.
    Last edited by Super Loopy; 07-15-08 at 11:57 AM.
    07-15-08 11:34 AM
    Loaded DM 4.5 with Roxio. Transferred 3 pictures from my PC to the media card through Roxio (Still as crappy as it was 6 months ago). I chose advanced conversion options this first time. Device froze after disconnecting from PC. Pulled battery and rebooted. Device hung on at&t splash screen just as it did when transferring pics through Windows.

Pulled battery, pulled media card, rebooted again, disabled media card support in options, pulled battery, installed media card, rebooted, re-enabled media card support and reformatted.

Opened Roxio back up and tried to transfer one of the same pics I did before only this time using "Convert for optimal playback". Device still froze after exiting Roxio. Pulled battery, rebooted and froze on at&t splash screen again.

Pulled battery, pulled media card, rebooted again, disabled media card support in options, pulled battery, installed media card, rebooted, re-enabled media card support and reformatted.

So now we've tried to add photos through Windows and through the Media Manager and both ways freeze the device up every time. By downloading the file from my email it saves and is able to be accessed without any issues.

Gurus?
    07-15-08 12:31 PM
    So I went out and bought a usb media card reader to see what happens.

Took the media card out of the BB and put it in the reader. Added a picture to it and put it back in the BB. Froze in teh same place as when you use File Explorer and Media Manager to add files.

Stuck it in the slot and formatted the card with Windows to see what would happen. Added one picture to the card after formatting and put it back in the Curve. It actually booted farther than when I try to add files to it being formatted by the BB. It made it all the way to the home screen and froze when Verifying Security whatever...

I give up. Seriously, is there anyone else with media cards that work with 4.5.0.52? Am I the only one with this issue?
    07-15-08 07:00 PM
    Screw it.

Back to 4.2.2 and media card working again. All is right in BB world.

At least I have documented all the troubleshooting in case someone else has this issue.
    07-15-08 07:56 PM
    Thank you for keeping us updated, sorry you had such a horrible experience with your media card and .52. I am running the same OS and have not had those issues!

Did you wipe your handheld when you installed the OS, so you had a fresh start. I know this can help sometimes, check out my link for proper upgrading in my signature!!

Also, after formatting with the PC and before loading media... I wonder what would have happened if you formatted with the Berry and then tried. Meh, who knows!! As long as you are happy now...

And the OS 4.5.0.52 has an 'official' release from Orange UK... there are threads all over about it! Maybe attempt to use that one and follow my upgrade procedure in that link?
    07-16-08 10:06 PM
    Yes, I always wipe the device using JL_cmder prior to installing a new OS.

I think if I was going to install an "official" release I'd stick with one that would work with my 8310.

Maybe TIM Italy's? Hehe
    07-16-08 10:08 PM
    haha...sorry I did not check your device. I knew you were on a GSM Curve and I wrongly assumed 8320!!

Well, I am not sure what to tell ya man!! I wish I could have a little hands on and attempt myself. Everything works fine for me and I have a memory card... hmmmm
    07-16-08 10:14 PM
    Yeah, a 3 hour drive to let you have a whack at my BB isn't my way of spending an enjoyable day off.
    07-16-08 10:19 PM
    I'm having similar issues since I upgraded to 4.5. When the memory card is in the BB, it freezes up. If I take it out, no freezing issues.

I've wiped the BB clean and reinstalled the OS and still have the same issues. I've been using that italian version.
    07-18-08 05:40 PM
    Screw it.

Back to 4.2.2 and media card working again. All is right in BB world.

At least I have documented all the troubleshooting in case someone else has this issue.
    I had the same issues with my 8820 when I went to open Pics on my media card. The BB froze up and I had to reinstall 4.5. Then I discovered the 8820 froze up when I went to open videos from CNN Mobile. Never had issues with 4.2 in that regard. End result>>> I re-loaded 4.2.2.193 and everything works perfectly.

No question the Beta versions of 4.5 floating around have some major issues. I will just wait until T-Mobile releases their specific version of 4.5!
    07-18-08 05:53 PM
    Thank God I'm not the only one, I thought I was crazy. Well, the jury's still out I suppose.

I am also just waiting for at&t to release their "official" one then if it still doesn't work I'll have something to complain about. Til then 4.2.2.170 works just fine.
    07-18-08 09:08 PM
    Alright well......

I had the day off so I decided to take a stab at the "official" TIM Italy version, knowing they didn't change anything but wth.

The only things I did different this time was that I didn't remove my media card while upgrading,I didn't wipe the device prior to installing the new OS and I didn't do a restore after upgrading. I just put my BBM contacts back in and restored my address book. I changed all the settings on the phone manually rather than restoring them from a backup.

Everything is working as intended now. I can access pics on the media card as well as take and save videos. If those of you who attempted to upgrade did any of the above things prior to installing 4.5 I'd suggest trying again.
    Last edited by Super Loopy; 07-20-08 at 12:25 PM.
    07-20-08 12:23 PM
    I spoke with the highest level of BB support yesterday from T-Mobile. We got into a discussion around 4.5. I then made a comment about a lot of BB owners installing the OS 4.5 upgrade. He kind of laughed.. and said, "if I were those guys I would uninstall that as fast as I could". I asked why... he said, "think about it... the versions that are available are for Europe.. mostly the 3G network". "Guess what... they are specific to those networks.. they are not intended for the US market". "The OS upgrades that we are coming out with are still in test mode... they are not ready for our network in the US just yet". "We are also imbedding different versions of the core software modules then they have in Europe". "Bottom line... the Euro version of 4.5 is different then the US version... these guys just don't seem to understand that".

Guess what ... he made a lot of sense! I suspect that if the OS 4.5 version that T-Mobile just rolled out in Germany worked for the US market.. they would have rolled it out here as well. That is most likely why when I installed it on my 8820, it totally crashed the devise. Sometimes I think that haste really does make waste!
    07-20-08 07:43 PM
    So all was well until I decided to add a couple new pics to the card.

Immediately after adding them the phone froze again and every subsequent reboot from that point on. Remove the media card and it works perfect again. I thought possibly because I was using a picture from the media card as my desktop background and I changed that picture that was on the card. So I pulled the media card and rebooted, hooked the BB to the PC and uploaded a picture to the device itself in order to change the background from what the device was looking for to begin with. Even after changing the background to a device saved image the BB froze when trying to access the pictures on the card.

It's almost as if when I upgraded to the 4.5 OS it read what was on the card at that point and didn't like it if I changed it to anything else.

Back to 4.2 I go....
    07-20-08 09:20 PM
    I spoke with the highest level of BB support yesterday from T-Mobile. We got into a discussion around 4.5. I then made a comment about a lot of BB owners installing the OS 4.5 upgrade. He kind of laughed.. and said, "if I were those guys I would uninstall that as fast as I could". I asked why... he said, "think about it... the versions that are available are for Europe.. mostly the 3G network". "Guess what... they are specific to those networks.. they are not intended for the US market". "The OS upgrades that we are coming out with are still in test mode... they are not ready for our network in the US just yet". "We are also imbedding different versions of the core software modules then they have in Europe". "Bottom line... the Euro version of 4.5 is different then the US version... these guys just don't seem to understand that".

Guess what ... he made a lot of sense! I suspect that if the OS 4.5 version that T-Mobile just rolled out in Germany worked for the US market.. they would have rolled it out here as well. That is most likely why when I installed it on my 8820, it totally crashed the devise. Sometimes I think that haste really does make waste!
    It was probably the guy that asked me if my BB was a Nokia? Did he tell you what 3G BB exist in Europe?
    07-20-08 09:23 PM
    I was also curious about that comment. What does 3G have to do with anything relating to the BB?

It's not like a WM based device that have different radios for different areas. The guy was talking out of his arse.
    07-20-08 10:03 PM
    I was also curious about that comment. What does 3G have to do with anything relating to the BB?

It's not like a WM based device that have different radios for different areas. The guy was talking out of his arse.
    Well, being that I am not a network engineer, I have no clue myself. I am wondering if it has something to do with how the phone interacts with the OS. I have no real idea... I guess we can speculate until the cows come home!

But I did think he made some points that made sense. I suspect that their are codes in the OS for Europe that may be different than here in the US or South America, etc. All I know is that when I uploaded T-Mobile's German OS 4.5 onto my T-Mobile 8820 it completely crashed the BB. Not good! That was enough for me to re-load 4.2.2.193 and forget it!
    07-21-08 05:49 PM
    I guess we can speculate until the cows come home!
    In some places that would be 9PM
    07-22-08 08:50 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD