Hey guys I am new to the site. I just recently upgraded to the os version 4.5.0.81 with t-mobile (they sent me a text message to upgrade, so I did). Ever since I installed it like 2 weeks ago my phone completly shuts down (whenever I use the speaker phones, internet, etc). Once it shuts down the only with to turn it on is by plugging it into a power source.

Why is it doing this? I always have a full battery and it still shuts off.

I just tried ro reinstall it to see if it would make a difference, but after using the internet for like 2 minutes it shut off again.

Any suggestions??????

Please HELP

Thanks
    04-16-09 02:49 AM
    Keep it plugged into power and use the device to see if the problem resolves completely. If it does its likely not the OS but a failing battery. You could also try a different OS to make sure if you wish though try the plug in first. How old is the battery/phone?

Lastly to make sure its not a memory related issue hit options>status and report the file free amount, if it is above 12mb or so its not memory - likely battery. Give it a shot

In case the newest OS for the device should you desire to rule out the OS issue

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...-124-a-137573/
    04-16-09 03:13 AM
    Hey thanks for the reply. I have tried to use the internet with the phone plugged in and there is no problem. I don't think that it is a battery problem though. I never had this problem before I upgraded to the new os version. I tried to just use the internet again with my curve and before I did I went into options>status and my battery was at 90% and it still shut down. I've had this phone for a little under a year now (same with the battery).

My curve says that it has 7,344,119 Bytes Free on it.

Any other advice please???

Thanks
    04-16-09 01:22 PM
    your file free is dangerously low. you need to be at at least 12mb and you are at 7mb. follow the instructions in this link to increase your file free memory. http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    04-16-09 01:33 PM
    the low file free makes the phone start to kind of eat itself to stay alive.. it can do very weird things, like random shutoffs..
    04-16-09 01:34 PM
    so what's the point of having all that space if you can't use it?
    04-16-09 03:04 PM
    so what's the point of having all that space if you can't use it?
    It uses the space to run apps, do basic housekeeping, and switch tasks, that's why you can have multiple apps running simultaneously.
    04-16-09 03:09 PM
    i understand. if i had used my brain for half a second, i would not have asked such a dumb question.
    thanks
    04-16-09 03:11 PM
    Don't be so hard on yourself...
    04-16-09 03:19 PM
    Hey do you think it would solve my shut down issue if I install the new 8320 OS: v4.5.0.124 that was just posted?

Oh also I deleted a bunch of applications to free up file space because I only had 7 mb free and I need at least 12 and after deleting a bunch of stuff I am only at 9mb of free space now. I dont even have a lot of apps on my phone at all.......

Any suggestions?
    04-16-09 04:39 PM
    Hey do you think it would solve my shut down issue if I install the new 8320 OS: v4.5.0.124 that was just posted?

Oh also I deleted a bunch of applications to free up file space because I only had 7 mb free and I need at least 12 and after deleting a bunch of stuff I am only at 9mb of free space now. I dont even have a lot of apps on my phone at all.......

Any suggestions?
    1. Delete all texts or unneeded texts and emails. People who save hundreds of texts will eventually have memory related issues.

2. Make sure you close all apps properly (menu>close) as well as move all media (ringtones, pictures, video etc) to a media card - if you dont have a media card its a good idea to get one to keep the pictures, ringtones off the device memory.

3. Clear your browser cache (browser>options>cache operations)

4. Clear the event log........On your keypad hold down the alt key and type lglg and clear the event log (ignore the warning).

5. If you have too many themes or applications maybe cut down on a few you dont use. Facebook would be the first place I would go for an app that needed to be deleted.

6. Keep an eye on what applications are running hold alt & hit esc (button right of the trackball) it will show you 5. (phone, messages, bbm, home screen, browser) anything else in there is running and you should look into it..

After you complete many of these if not all - pull the battery with the phone on, wait 30 seconds, replace, when you boot back up check your new file free memory size.

for more memory gain use the link as posted above
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    Last edited by Tremortality; 04-16-09 at 04:58 PM.
    04-16-09 04:46 PM
    1. Delete all texts or unneeded texts and emails. People who save hundreds of texts will eventually have memory related issues.

2. Make sure you close all apps properly (menu>close) as well as move all media (ringtones, pictures, video etc) to a media card - if you dont have a media card its a good idea to get one to keep the pictures, ringtones off the device memory.

3. Clear your browser cache (browser>options>cache operations)

4. Clear the event log........On your keypad hold down the alt key and type lglg and clear the event log (ignore the warning).

5. If you have too many themes or applications maybe cut down on a few you dont use. Facebook would be the first place I would go for an app that needed to be deleted.

6. Keep an eye on what applications are running hold alt & hit esc (button right of the trackball) it will show you 5. (phone, messages, bbm, home screen, browser) anything else in there is running and you should look into it..

After you complete many of these if not all - pull the battery with the phone on, wait 30 seconds, replace, when you boot back up check your new file free memory size.

for more memory gain use the link as posted above
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    Hey thanks for those tips. I have done all that stuff and am now up to 10.5mb. I did find some pics on my phone that are stored on the phones memory. How do I send those pictures from my device to my memory card?

Thanks
    04-16-09 07:16 PM
    you just navigate to them hit menu>copy and then go to where you want them and hit menu>paste
    but then you have to go back and delete the one you dont want.. after your done with everything do a battery pull..
    04-16-09 07:19 PM
    Hey guys thanks for the help so far. I moved my pictures to my memory card and did all the other stuff you guys suggested and I am now up to 12,450,914Bytes of free space. I am going to see if that prevents my phone from shutting off now. I will keep you posted...

Thanks again
    04-17-09 02:10 PM
    Alright guys I just used the internet on my phone for less than 3 minutes at the most and it completly shut down again....... Arrrrrrgh why the **** is it doing this?????

What else can I do?
    04-17-09 02:18 PM
    Alright guys I just used the internet on my phone for less than 3 minutes at the most and it completly shut down again....... Arrrrrrgh why the **** is it doing this?????

What else can I do?
    Plug the BB into a charger and try the Browser again. If the BB doesn't shut down, then you have a bad battery that can't provide enough power to the BB during radio transmitter use (data transmission). You will need a new battery.
    04-17-09 02:34 PM
    Plug the BB into a charger and try the Browser again. If the BB doesn't shut down, then you have a bad battery that can't provide enough power to the BB during radio transmitter use (data transmission). You will need a new battery.

Hey thanks for the advice but I really doubt that it is the battery because after it shut off and I plugged it back in (for like 5 seconds, just so it would turn back on) I went to menu>options>status and it showed that I still have 85% battery life.

Any other suggestions?
    04-17-09 03:45 PM
    Hey thanks for the advice but I really doubt that it is the battery because after it shut off and I plugged it back in (for like 5 seconds, just so it would turn back on) I went to menu>options>status and it showed that I still have 85% battery life.

Any other suggestions?

Hey -

The same thing has been going on here too. I know it's not the OS though because I began having the trouble when I upgraded to a 4.5 from Orange Italy. So, thinking it was the OS version, I upgraded again to the T-Mobile approved 4.5. Same issue. I just did a warranty exchange and low and behold - same issue. I checked my battery life and oddly enough it is saying 85% also. I am going to order another battery from ebay to test and I'll let you know how it goes.

- Israel
    04-17-09 03:57 PM
    Hey -

The same thing has been going on here too. I know it's not the OS though because I began having the trouble when I upgraded to a 4.5 from Orange Italy. So, thinking it was the OS version, I upgraded again to the T-Mobile approved 4.5. Same issue. I just did a warranty exchange and low and behold - same issue. I checked my battery life and oddly enough it is saying 85% also. I am going to order another battery from ebay to test and I'll let you know how it goes.

- Israel
    Hey Israel that sucks you have the same problem. Let me know how things go with your new battery. Has your phone been shutting off during calls too? When I am talking it gets all fuzzy and completly shuts down
    04-17-09 04:04 PM
    Hey Israel that sucks you have the same problem. Let me know how things go with your new battery. Has your phone been shutting off during calls too? When I am talking it gets all fuzzy and completly shuts down
    Yup -

From what I've noticed there are two things that will cause it to crash. One is when I'm doing something data-intensive and the other is on calls. I can't have a conversation for more than 2 or 3 minutes before there's a buzz - kind of like when you're phone is next to computer speakers and is receiving data - and then it just completely powers off. I expidited the battery shipment, but since it's a weekend, it may be Tues or Wed before I get to test it out. But, like I said, I'll definitely let you know how that goes. The good news is, there are lots of batteries on e-bay for very cheap, so if you end up having to purchase one at least you won't have to pay a fortune...

-Israel
    04-18-09 03:33 AM
    Guy's, it's the battery.

The phone is battery intensive as well, since the radio transmitter needs to both send and receive during the call.

The reason why the BB is ok when plugged into a charger is it's supplying the extra power the BB needs to stay operational.

Just because the battery shows 85% doesn't mean it can supply power when a demand is placed on the cells.

If you know someone with a Curve, borrow their battery to test.
    04-18-09 06:20 AM

Any other suggestions?
    The fact that it needed to be on the charger to turn back on is another clue that you have a bad battery.
    04-18-09 06:23 AM
    OS 4.5.0.131 It is very stable...

sorry just saw above post...
    04-18-09 03:48 PM
    OS 4.5.0.131 It is very stable...

sorry just saw above post...
    That OS is for an 8330, these ppl have 8320, which are GSM Curves.
    04-18-09 03:53 PM
    Hey thanks for the info. I will try to try out using a different battery asap. Does anyone sell extended life batteries that are the same size as a regular battery?
    04-18-09 08:17 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD