Now, that (and Jeff's post) is really interesting. My (GSM) 8310 is originally from AT&T and it is currently not splitting. As I said, my previos phone and that of Mr's Pete6 do. I shall call Swisscom tomorrow and ask the question.
    So if you have a 8310 originally from ATT and now you use it for Swisscom, then it could very well be just carrier specific. Do you have Swisscom's OS installed on there?
    09-04-08 02:40 PM
    This problem had been brought up when using the bb with verizon, I don't know what it is but I have att and it's just like you say 160*6 so I'm good to go. Best bet is MMS like said above you can do 1000.
    Once again, we already no this and your suggestion has been posted mmmmaaaaannnnnnyyyyy times. We are past that now. Thanks though.
    09-04-08 02:41 PM
    So if you have a 8310 originally from ATT and now you use it for Swisscom, then it could very well be just carrier specific. Do you have Swisscom's OS installed on there?
    I am running OS 4.2.2.194 but I have also tries 4.2.2.170 from AT&T.

I don;t think that it's the carrier cuz my previus phine split SMSs and so does the wife's current phone.
    09-04-08 02:44 PM
    I am running OS 4.2.2.194 but I have also tries 4.2.2.170 from AT&T.

I don;t think that it's the carrier cuz my previus phine split SMSs and so does the wife's current phone.
    But your other phones are not blackberries. So your carrier may have put restrictions on the blackberries for their network.

With VZW, I had a Razr, Treo 700, xv6700 and xv6900. They all split up the texts.

With VZW, I had the 8703, 8830 and 8330 and none of them split of the text

With AT&T I have the 8310 and it DOES split up the text and so does most of their other phones if not all.

So the conclusion here is that for whatever reason a specific carrier restricts this function on BLACKBERRIES. So while you say "it's not carrier specific", it may be YOUR carrier restricted this function for Blackberries just like VZW. Because AT&T and TMO have no problem on any of the Blackberries.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 09-04-08 at 02:57 PM.
    09-04-08 02:55 PM
    No, there's no option to change that on Verizon BlackBerries. 160 7-bit characters is the SMS standard, and that's all Verizon implements on their BlackBerries. Other carriers implement Extended SMS, which lets you break a long message into 6 160-char messages. You can always use Pins or MMS messages. These modes use your data plan and are not character limited.
    Hey Jeff congrats on the Mod nod. As you of all people should know, the problem with using Pins is that not everyones' contacts has a blackberry so that defeats the purpose. With MMS use, since we are on Verizon and have 8830's that should answer itself.

The limitation is not a Blackberry limitation. I had the 8330 with VZW and it doesn't split. But now I have the 8310 with AT&T and it does. So it's either the carrier or certain device model. Sprint Blackberries and VZW do not split but AT&T and TMO do. Sprint and VZW have the same model numbers for their blackberries, so is it the model that cannot do it or is it the carrier that restricts it. Or is it because its both a CDMA carrier + the blackberry. We know its not CDMA carriers because Sprint and VZW have other phones that are capable. And we know its not blackberry because devices on other carriers are able to do it. So is it a combination of both, or just the carriers that are coincidently CDMA carriers that have the same model numbers.
    I agree with all your points here except the device model theory because it don't matter on Verizon; No BB model splits the message. I would have to say it's the carrier, but again why would verizon let the dumbphones and certain smartphones (My friend's on Verizon and his Q9 splits the message and continues on the same page, but my old treo didn't) only do it??

It's a problem restricted to Verizon Blackberries. As has been said, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint blackberries will split longer messages just fine.
    If you really need to send a longer message, send it as an email or MMS.
    Read above. Also thanks scorpio for helping tnewton understand .

Now, that (and Jeff's post) is really interesting. My (GSM) 8310 is originally from AT&T and it is currently not splitting. As I said, my previos phone and that of Mr's Pete6 do. I shall call Swisscom tomorrow and ask the question.
    Scorpio, about the OS issue, that's a tough one. I originally had 4.2.2.196 on my Verizon phone, but now I'm running 4.5.0.77 which is public and still no dice. So who knows??
    Last edited by ediggity; 09-04-08 at 03:05 PM.
    09-04-08 03:00 PM
    Hey Jeff congrats on the Mod nod. As you of all people should know, the problem with using Pins is that not everyone of contacts has a blackberry so that defeats the purpose. With MMS use, since we are on Verizon and have 8830's that should answer itself.

I agree with all your points here except the device model theory because it don't matter on Verizon; No BB model splits the message. I would have to say it's the carrier, but again why would verizon let the dumbphones and certain smartphones (My friend's on Verizon and his Q9 splits the message and continues on the same page, but my old treo didn't) only do it??

Read above. Also thanks scorpio for straightening that out.

Scorpio, about the OS issue, that's a tough one. I originally had 4.2.2.196 on my Verizon phone, but now I'm running 4.5.0.77 which is public and still no dice. So who knows??
    Yeah the only reason I was wondering if it was a certain model number was because I already know VZW blackberries can't do it. But my friend and his wife have a Curve and a Pearl for Sprint and they said now they can't do it (This is what they told me don't know if they are right lol). So it just made we think was it the carrier's as well as the model because Sprint and VZW both have the same models. Just kinda made me wonder. I know it's probably the carrier putting the restriction on the blackberry, but I like to look at all sides of the equation lol.
    09-04-08 03:07 PM
    So, just picking off data from this thread, we have:
    Carrier BlackBerry CDMA/GSM ESMS/SMS
    VZW 8830 CDMA SMS
    VZW 8703 CDMA SMS
    VZW 8330 CDMA SMS
    ATT 8130 GSM ESMS
    SWISSCOM 8310 GSM SMS

Please feel free to copy and paste into subsequent posts. I think there is value in filling out the chart. It could eventually be added to a FAQ.
    09-04-08 04:44 PM
    Wish I would have known this before I bought it... I constantly send large texts on my Mogul. Sucks that I won't be able to do it on my Curve =/
    10-27-08 05:48 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD