I just got my new BB Curve 8320 today, I have been researching them for a good while now, so I wasn't completely clueless to them before I got one in my hands... Just one question, I was thinking about upgrading to the 4.5...But, am extremely nervous about it ruining my phone...Do you guys recommend it? Or do you think I should stay away from it? Sorry...Noob post, I just can't decide, and am nervous.
    08-25-08 10:30 PM
    I would do a bunch or research first and get familiar with your BB. Here is a start for you. BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com
    08-25-08 10:32 PM
    i have it on my phone, ive seen a lot of people say to run the software it came with for a few days before upgrading. it all really depends on what you want man
    08-25-08 10:33 PM
    I did read through that, and thank you very much. I just have heard alot of people's phones crash...Makes me nervous.
    08-25-08 10:33 PM
    You've got plenty of time. Use it to get familiar with your device. If you want to start learning the inner workings, try the Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. You'll need to do it eventually anyway, and it'll be a good learning experience that'll help you get ready to upgrade your OS.
    08-25-08 10:36 PM
    Thank you very much, I've actually already ran through that, the first thing I did when I got my BB.
    08-25-08 10:38 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-08 10:39 PM
    Welcome, Jes!

upgrading is a personal preference. I did it last night, and I'm sold on it.
    I studied all the info on this site about it for like 2.5 weeks, before I took the plunge. When deciding, weigh your options, read the threads and the posts others have put out there, and go from there. I'm an organizational freak, and that's why it took me 2.5 weeks to totally decide, even though I'd seen posts for it for longer than that. good luck!
    08-25-08 10:41 PM
    Aw, thank you. I'm definitely wanting to take the plunge, so don't want any side effects of it. Haha...
    08-25-08 10:44 PM
    Well I see that you're on TMo and honestly, I've thought about upgrading myself but I'm just like you, nervous. Here's some pro's and con's about it:

Pro's: newest OS system, faster, more features

Con's: Voids your warranty and TMo customer service won't be able to help you out with any problems and yes, possible crash of your phone.

I suggest you wait until Tmobile comes out with the new OS which is rumored to come out sometime between Sept and Oct....besides that, welcome to Crackberry!!!
    08-25-08 10:54 PM
    Is the new OS supposed to have all the features like 4.5? Youtube, etc...
    The current OS on mine is...Is there a legit one above that that is official?
    08-25-08 11:06 PM
    I'm not sure about the youtube stuff but i've heard rumors about that but not completely sure. The only Legit download for OS 4.5 i know of is the one on here in the forums that is a Orange UK download....It's official but not for Tmobile...if you're unsure of installing, I suggest you wait till they come out with the Tmobile OS
    08-26-08 12:29 AM
    yes you can watch you tube vids, I am running 4.5 on my t-mo pearl. If you find the newest release and follow a few basics(pre format memory card with BB, backup data, remove incompatible programs) you should be fine. Browser is the biggest difference as well as far more theme opportunities. If neither is important to you I would say to wait. I went from 4.2 to 4.5 then back to 4.2. The main reason I am back on 4.5 is to test my own themes.

I am using the Orange version
    Last edited by micjenks; 08-26-08 at 12:44 AM. Reason: addition
    08-26-08 12:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD