I've had an unlikely and crazy accident with my relatively new 8330. I have oil that spilled onto the phone without realizing it until the next morning. When I power on the unit, everything works, but the screen is shadowy and grey (almost looks smoky, like it's been in a fire). At the bottom is a totally dark shadow about an inch wide on the diagonal.

Of course, I immediately cleaned what I could popping out the back plate, battery etc., but obviously it's seeped into the display.

The phone was given to me as a gift, so there was no "stupidity" insurance purchased. Also, because the phone was purchased in a different City far away, my local retail outlets (independently run), tell me I would have to get a loaner phone from that very same store and it could be a 2-3 week wait just to get a quote to fix it. I live in Canada.

I can't get to that City as I just broke my arm and also have a loaner car as my car is being repaired this week..

And the oil? I ate at a fancy schmancy italian restaurant and they packaged up what I couldn't finish in a styrofoam container, then bagged it with a plastic bag. Since I was down to one arm, I carefully set the container in my large handbag and it somehow leaked. So, more than likely olive oil.

Do you think it's worth my while as a newbie to attempt a BB dismantle? Even though everything works, I fear for the future health of my phone each and every day I can't get into the City. The phone is only 2 months old and I just don't want to wreck anything, but I feel desperate to do something before it worsens with the oil inside.

I did buy the tools needed (screwdrivers) recommended from a youtube video I viewed and my local "The Source" store recommended Contact and Head Cleaner which is Isopropronol, Isobutane and ET Propane..used for circuit boards. I also have Q-tips and rubbing alcohol on hand.

Any guidance is much appreciated, for my silly, silly mistake.

Thanks to anyone who may tell me what I should do!
    09-21-09 09:09 PM
    There are many youtube videos created on how to disassemble your curve. Its a really easy process if you follow it step by step. I would just clean every part up before it gets any worse.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 10:23 PM
    If the LCD can't be cleaned, replacements are available for around $40.

09-21-09 10:44 PM
    Make sure the alcohol is at least the 91% variety as regular rubbing alcohol is only 67% which may leave far too many impurities behind. It only oil so you don't have to worry about it shorting out anything but you want to make sure it doesn't get into the contacts. The one thing to keep in mind is if you open it, you void any warranty you may have or that the person who gave it to you may have. If warranty is not an issue, then open it up and clean it out really good. Just make sure there is no power source to the phone and no open flames or sparks in the area you are working with the alcohol.
    09-21-09 11:17 PM
    I would definitely try cleaning it and If that don't work take it back into your city and hopefully they can fix it for you

09-22-09 12:45 AM
    I got up the nerve last evening to follow the tutorial in taking it apart. There were little pin sized droplets everywhere so I cleaned every part as I went with Contact cleaner from The Source store. This was scary for an electronically challenged newbie. I'm having an issue with the left side panel but I'll attempt to retrace my steps today.

The phone still works, but I'm afraid there's no difference on the screen display so I'll have to order a replacement part.

At least I can rest knowing the oil has been cleaned up as best as possible on the inside. Great forums and good advice!
    09-22-09 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD