I have a CDMA Curve 8330 and have had serious battery life issues with it not lasting the day. I am running OS 4.5 and have followed the advice about saving battery by logging off Facebook, closing unused apps, turn off GPS & BT etc. I get about 25 e-mails a day, send only a few and talk for about an hour on the phone and it drops 10% of battery an hour. I charge it every night while I sleep with the supplied charger and plug it in while in the car, especially if I am playing music on it.
    I have only had it 2 months and so I called Tech Support wiht my phone service provider. Despite what all available sources I can find say about Li-ion batterys i was told something very different, and that my charging pattern may have killed the battery. I was told to ALWAYS let the battery run right down to a point it tells me to charge it (Red, <25% etc) and only then charge it. Also to only charge it for an hour or two and check it and unplug it when fully charged.
    Any thoughts on this? I think I have a dud battery but am not sure that I did it through useage.
    01-02-09 09:56 PM
    I was told to ALWAYS let the battery run right down to a point it tells me to charge it (Red, <25% etc) and only then charge it.
    This is not needed with Li-ion batteries. Doing so very well may have hurt the battery. You could simply get a new one.
    01-02-09 10:05 PM
    I know it is not needed and that is why I can't understand why Telus told me to do that. I have never done that and always top up. My battery has only got as low as 25% and that was only once. I cannot see why with a Li-ion battery I should not leave it plugged in all night.
    01-02-09 10:26 PM
    The info you received is incorrect. You have a defective battery and need to replace it. The tech was mistaken.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 10:34 PM
    My "other" hobby is flying model airplanes, from small electric ones to very large gas powered ones. Battery technology has pushed that hobby by leaps and bounds, but we have learned all about how hard to push cells and cell life. Currently for us the rage is Lipo and LiFe. With all that said, a Lithium Ion cell does not need "conditioning" such as older NiMh batteries. You just run the battery down to whatever your need is throughout the day and charge it again at night. You can not extend the battery life by discharging all the way down before you charge it again. It sounds like it is simply a bad cell with poor disharge capabilities. Replace the battery. I suggest amazon.com. You can find batteries for the curves for under $10

01-02-09 11:45 PM
    If its only a couple months old Telus will replace it for free.

01-03-09 12:33 AM
    If you are interested in the technical information on Lith-Ion batteries:

BatteryUniversity.com has some excellent info.
    01-03-09 07:13 AM
    Thanks for the advice all. I thought the guy was out of his mind suggesting that. Actually I deleted the Facebook app as described in several forums as a battery hog and seems to have fixed the problem so far. Battery used to drop about 10%/hr and now 10% in 5 hours.
    01-03-09 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD