okay, i have never used a blackberry before. my wife has one, i don't think i've ever touched it. i just got one from my uncle. it's locked to at&t and i have t-mobile for service. i've got BDM ver. 4.7.0.32. i also have the blackberry MFI mulitloader. when i run the multiloader i get the following error:

no CFP object initialization.

i've scoured the net to the best of my ability.

do i have to have the actual sim card that was used with the phone, or would any at&t sim card?

like i said, i'm new to blackberry, but not new to technology or tinkering.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

-shake
    12-20-08 05:02 PM
    Im not sure what the MFI multiloader is

I know most here use the desktop manager from

BlackBerry

I use version 4.5, no issues..
    12-20-08 05:07 PM
    the MFI mulitloader is the tool used to find your unlock code, so you can use the phone on any carrier. the phone is locked to at&t and needs to be unlocked for me to use it on t-mobile. i have the desktop manager. the newest version.

the error i get pertains to the operation of the MFI multiloader.

thanks for your help though!

-shake
    12-20-08 06:30 PM
    Ahh ok, so its still locked and you want to unlock it?

I guess Im not completely understanding...
    12-20-08 06:33 PM
    You need an unlock code from the original carrier...
    12-20-08 06:35 PM
    Ahh ok, so its still locked and you want to unlock it?

I guess Im not completely understanding...
    yes, i would like to unlock it!

You need an unlock code from the original carrier...
    isn't that what the MFI multiloader is for?

-shake
    12-20-08 06:59 PM
    I have never unlocked a BlackBerry, but there is threads here. All i know is that there is an unlock code you get from the carrier...
    12-20-08 07:03 PM
    Do you even need the MFI whatever? I thught you just got the code, and did something or other with the MEDP or MEDP or whatever LOL and it disabled the network thing.. who knows

LOL clear as mud aint I?
    12-20-08 07:07 PM
    well cant you get your unlock code from a 3rd party and unlock it? do you just have issues just putting in the code?
    12-20-08 07:12 PM
    You can, but you will have to pay, if the acct is in good standing with the carrier they will give it for free.
    12-20-08 07:14 PM
    I've never unocked a device using this method but here is the thread link in case you have lost it. Post in that thread and you'll have better results. Also you should follow the instructions exactly.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/do-...0-free-108085/

Good Luck.

Added: Although I provided the link to the thread I agree with the above posts and do suggest you call ATT and just tell them your uncle gave you the device and you are on Tmo and would like to use it. Be very nice and courteous and they will probably give you the unlock code. If not call back later and try with a different CS person. It would be much safer to unlock that way.
    Last edited by pegb856; 12-20-08 at 07:37 PM.
    12-20-08 07:17 PM
    Some people have been lucky getting an unlock code from the carrier, others have not. You'll need to get the IMEI number from the phone and then call AT&T to see if they'll give it to you. If not, you'll need to get one from a vendor. It'll cost you $15 - $20. Go to GSMPnonesouce.com for the code along with the instructions. Piece of cake if you follow the instructions.

There is also a lenghty STICKY thread on this in this (Curve83xx) forum.
    12-20-08 07:21 PM
    i've tried calling at&t. they told me that since i don't have an account they will not give me the code.

and yes, i could pay for it, but there is no fun in that! don't you guys have any DIY gumption?

i do appreciate the advice.

now, let's say i call and get the unlock code from at&t. do i need the acutal sim card that was used (my uncle has since got the bold and uses the sim card on that phone.) on the phone to unlock it?

thanks again, and i'll read through that thread again pegb.

polish, i don't have the code.

and there is no way i'm paying to get it when i can do it myself. either at&t will give it to me, or i'll figure it out.

thanks again for all the help and making a newb (yes there still are blackberry newbs! obviously!) feel welcome.

-shake
    12-20-08 07:55 PM
    Have your uncle call, I dont see why they wouldnt give it to you, sometimes i see they like to give people a hard time.

You dont need uncles sim card.
    12-20-08 08:03 PM
    Sometimes if you are very nice or tell them you are traveling out of the country, they will release the unlock code...
    12-20-08 08:06 PM
    Sounds like, from what Ive read, AT&T are difficult in giving out codes, this isnt the first thread Ive read with em.
    12-20-08 08:07 PM
    alright, thanks again guys and gals! i'm gonna give them a couple of calls, and if not, i'll tell my uncle to call and see what happens.

and if i figure out the program and how to unlock it myself i will make sure to post and share with everyone!

-shake
    12-20-08 08:11 PM
    The last Blackberry I unlocked I had purchased online. Upon it's arrival I immediately purchased an unlock code from an unlock vendor, on the 3rd day of waiting for my code I got ticked and impatient. I called ATT told the nice lady that I ordered a code but didn't get it and asked if I could please get it from her. 3 Minutes later she gave it to me over the phone. As I said, call another CS person and give that a try.

I hope it goes well if you still want to do it yourself.
    12-20-08 08:13 PM
    Cool, let us know...
    12-20-08 08:13 PM
    When I got my unlock code (Yes I paid for it...a whopping $14), the instructions stated to Remove the SIM card.
    12-20-08 08:14 PM
    When I got my unlock code (Yes I paid for it...a whopping $14), the instructions stated to Remove the SIM card.
    it's not the money, it's the principle! and i'm a DIYer, not a pay-someone-to-do-it-for me-er.

thanks for the info though dan!

-shake
    Last edited by headshake; 12-20-08 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling: principle, not my pal the principal!
    12-20-08 08:52 PM
    Duh, the Storm is about a bigger screen and Verizon coverage, service, and security; bigger screen and Verizon coverage, service, and security; bigger screen and Verizon coverage, service, and security...I would never dream of unlocking my Verizon Storm or messing with its hardware, save for removing and re-inserting its battery. Likewise, I will upgrade to the next Operating System ONLY when Verizon says to do so.
    12-20-08 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD