Hi
    I was hopin some of you guys could point me in the right direction. I'm a total noob with blackberries and I got my hands on a blackberry 8310 that is still running on 4.2 software. I would like to update it but the thing is that it is not currently contracted out but I did unlock it. So my questions are, can I update it without a present service provider? And if so, can I use any version of the latest software update? I find the different version selections a bit confusing even though I have been researching the forums to try figure it out. So I thought my next step should be to ask help from those that have been there, done that! What is the advantages/disadvantages of the desktop manager with/without the media manager? I am planning on giving it to someone and I'd like to tweak it the best I can beforehand. Or should I just leave it be and let the new owner deal with it after they get an account with a service provider? Any and all helpand suggestions will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
    06-23-09 01:35 PM
    Use Desktop Manager 4.6 without Media Manager.

You can update the OS to the one in the sticky at the top of the forum, 4.5.0.163, even if it isn't on any carrier yet. Just follow the instructions in the first post of the sticky thread to install.
    06-23-09 02:02 PM
    Thanks guys for the quick response. Did what you suggested and everything went quite smoothly. Got a bit confused when I didn't see the .163 version but just figured the .174 was a newer build and just went for it. Took about 45 mins. for the whole process but I expected that from trolling the forum and waited it out. Now I'm just waiting for the new housing to arrive and it'll look brand spankin' new! Once again, thanks for your help. I knew I came to the right place!
    06-23-09 08:21 PM
    Thanks guys for the quick response. Did what you suggested and everything went quite smoothly. Got a bit confused when I didn't see the .163 version but just figured the .174 was a newer build and just went for it. Took about 45 mins. for the whole process but I expected that from trolling the forum and waited it out. Now I'm just waiting for the new housing to arrive and it'll look brand spankin' new! Once again, thanks for your help. I knew I came to the right place!
    Actually .163 isn't on their site for download. You installed .124, .174 is the package version.

Software For BlackBerry� Curve (TM) 8310 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.174 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.5.0.174
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.5.0.124
    * Software Platform: 2.7.0.92
    * File name: 8310M_PBr4.5.0_rel174_PL2.7.0.92_A4.5.0.124_O2_UK. exe
    * File size: 89.92MB
    06-23-09 09:10 PM
    And the confusion continues! Do I have to go to Blackberry school to figure out what software is the latest and correct? Why don't they just label the software in hieroglyphics, it would probably look the same to me! So did I install improper software? And how do you know which is correct from the choices available? I followed the link in the Sticky and didn't see the .163 so where can I get it or should I even bother?
    06-24-09 09:36 PM
    4.5.0.124 is ok to use. Learn the 4.5 OS for a while, then if the itch to upgrade keeps nagging at you, upgrade to .163 later.
    06-24-09 09:44 PM
    4.5.0.124 is ok to use. Learn the 4.5 OS for a while, then if the itch to upgrade keeps nagging at you, upgrade to .163 later.
    Thanks
    that sounds like good advice but where would I find the .163 when the urge does arise? I was unable to locate it either through the sticky or blackberry.com?
    06-25-09 06:09 AM
    I don't know what happened to it, it's not on their download site anymore.

Maybe someone can mirror it for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 06:47 AM
    I don't know what happened to it, it's not on their download site anymore.

Maybe someone can mirror it for you.

yea, That was the problem in the first place, I looked for it quite thoroughly with google but its nowhere to be had. Can I request someone to maybe upload it to rapidshare/megaupload and make it available in a Sticky? Or would that be illegal in someway? Is there a thread that explains the difference in OS versions. Obviously there are always updates but what has .163 got that .174 doesn't. I'm totally new to BB but I would like to have the most appropriate and up to date software for my device. Thanks.

06-25-09 10:08 AM
    yea, That was the problem in the first place, I looked for it quite thoroughly with google but its nowhere to be had. Can I request someone to maybe upload it to rapidshare/megaupload and make it available in a Sticky? Or would that be illegal in someway? Is there a thread that explains the difference in OS versions. Obviously there are always updates but what has .163 got that .174 doesn't. I'm totally new to BB but I would like to have the most appropriate and up to date software for my device. Thanks.

bump bump
    06-25-09 09:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD