Hello all,

I've seen this problem stated by quite a few people, but haven't seen any response that helps my current situation. I've cruised around the forums and the internet for awhile now, so I'll try to be as specific as possible as to why I think I deserve my own thread.

On my 8310, I'm using the BB Media player. I get sound just fine from audio files, but I don't from video.

1) No, I'm not using a bluetooth headset. Regular, wired headphones.

2) Yes, I used to be able to listen to videos just fine using any pair of headphones I wanted.

3) Yes, the headphones work in other devices.

4) No, I haven't changed anything lately. No upgrades, no nothing.

5) One time, audio came back for videos, then it disappeared again. I have no idea what, if anything, I did that caused this.

I have battery pulled like crazy. Unplugged the headphones and replugged them. I've used the ones that came with the phone, ones that didn't, and checked them all in multiple other devices. All of them provide sound from audio files.

When I first noticed the problem, it was after I only heard sound in one headphone (this was while listening to audio files). Now, I have sound in both headphones from audio files.

My OS is v4.2.2.170.

Any help would be appreciated, as I am unable to find a solution by searching the internet.

Thanks,

Dance
    08-28-08 03:22 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Try plugging in the headphones before you start Media. This may help.

Can you hear movie sound by holding the phone to your ear? Does it stop when you plug in th headphones i.e. is there any hardware switching occurring.

Likewise cann you hear movie sound through the speaker. Again, does it stop when you plug in the phones.

The Blackberry has some funny software channel switching and sometimes it just needs a kick in the pants to make it work properly.

The OS you are running is the current AT&T latest so that is fine.

Try changing themes and use Media with the new theme. Change it back again.

Lastly, try a full Backup/Restore. This may help too.
    08-28-08 03:40 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.
    Thank you!

Try plugging in the headphones before you start Media. This may help.
    I pulled the battery, plugged the headphones in, put the battery back in, and started everything back up. Viola! Sound in one headphone. So, this solution worked, but I'll keep answering in case it'll help understand the problem a little more.

Can you hear movie sound by holding the phone to your ear? Does it stop when you plug in th headphones i.e. is there any hardware switching occurring. Likewise cann you hear movie sound through the speaker. Again, does it stop when you plug in the phones.
    Before I got it to work again: Yes, I could use both the speakerphone, and could listen by holding the phone to my ear, I think that's the handset option. If I was listening to audio files, the phone would automatically use the headphones, but for video the only sound options were the speakerphone and handset. Both of these worked fine. The sound was not affected by the headphones being plugged in, removed, or anything else.

After I got it to work: When I pull the headphones out, no sound comes from the phone. It used to default to speakerphone when the headphones were removed, and then switched back when they were plugged in.

The Blackberry has some funny software channel switching and sometimes it just needs a kick in the pants to make it work properly.
    Yeah, this seems to be exactly what's causing my problem. I'll try messing around with it.

The OS you are running is the current AT&T latest so that is fine.
    Ok, that's good to know.

Try changing themes and use Media with the new theme. Change it back again.

Lastly, try a full Backup/Restore. This may help too.
    I selected the "Speakerphone" option, and plugged the headpones in before launching media player. Things were back to the way they were before the battery pull and startup with the headphones plugged in (ie: No sound from the headphones, only from the speakerphone). I changed the theme, tried again with no luck, and changed back to try again with no luck.

Hope this helps figure out what it is I'm doing that's making it act so finicky. I can always just pull the battery everytime I want to watch a video with headphones, but that seems like just a band-aid.
    08-28-08 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD