Hi all. Just got my 8330 this week, and am impressed so far- but then, i've never had anything like it before. I've never even done texting, just had a cheapo Virgin Mobile phone. there have been a few sites i can't get all the way into, like some forums and one of my work-related websites, but i'm thinking that's gonna happen.
    My biggest question is regarding security- don't want any viruses or anything. Is there a sticky or a site anywhere that tells in easy-to-understand language, how to make sure my device is moderately secure? I've read about Options- Security, but when I go to Options (the wrench thingy?) I don't see Security.
    I didn't get much of a manual, I did get a CD, but just haven't had time to get all the way thru it!
    Thanks, and great forum!
    10-28-09 08:35 AM
    Welcome to the forums.

As of yet, there are no reported viruses on a BlackBerry device. A good rule of thumb, though, is to not install any 3rd party application unless you know where it's coming from. I wouldn't just click on any link from a random email to install something - unless you asked for it or know the sender. Much like your PC.

As for the password, click on the Options icon, then Security Options, then General Settings. You can enable a password there (highly recommended) so that if your device is lost or stolen the thief either won't be able to access your information or will wipe it clean once they enter the password wrong 10 times (which will happen to you, too, so remember your password).
    10-28-09 08:39 AM
    I must be doing something wrong. By Options, you mean the wrench-looking icon? When I go there, I don't see Security.
    Thanks!
    10-28-09 09:03 AM
    What do you see?
    10-28-09 09:05 AM
    Top of forum is blackberry help then 101's will help understand your device.
    10-28-09 11:31 AM
    I found it! Duh- when i went to Options, I needed to hit the back arrow, or whatever, it was stuck on another screen. I also enabled the Firewall- should I have?
    Thanks!
    10-28-09 01:08 PM
    No I have mine disabled. If you enabled it you can set it to block certain messages. Do you want to block messages?
    10-28-09 01:42 PM
    oh, is that all the Firewall does? I guess there's no messages i want to block at this time. i also noticed it locked when i put it in the holster, might want to look at some settings, i guess!
    thanks
    10-28-09 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD