I purchased a blackberry curve 8330 a month ago and was reading posts about operating systems. My device seems to be working fine....but how do I know when I should update my OS ?

I have the blackberry desktop manager installed on my computer - will that software tell me when an update is available - or needed ?

When I looked under Options > About...

It says: Blackberry 8330, v4.3.0.127

thanks !
    09-14-08 12:25 AM
    That's the latest official release. There are no updates right now that aren't beta. I would say get used to your device before you worry about that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-08 12:42 AM
    I strongly second blueberry23's advice. Installing a beta OS will void your warranty. As for knowing when to upgrade, there is a sticky in each device forum that shows the latest OS for that device. You can check there. The Memory Optimization Procedure that's found in many of our sigs is a great place to start getting more familiarity with your device. Reed also shows you how and where to find the latest OS for your system. His procedure is well worth doing.

Last edited by JeffH; 09-14-08 at 11:34 AM.
    09-14-08 12:48 AM
    your in good hands here so all i can say is welcome to cb
    09-14-08 03:03 AM
    I agree with both blueberry and JeffH. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Live wiht your new phone for a while and learn its capabilities.

Hang around Crackberry and have a look at the 101 Lectures in my signature.

Ask any question in here that you wish. Help will always be available.
    09-14-08 03:43 AM
    Hello & welcome to the addiction!!!
    09-14-08 05:49 AM
    If you are a real crackberry addict:
    anytime a new beta is leaked = time to upgrade!
    09-14-08 08:45 AM
    I came from 4.3 to 4.5

There are not a lot of changes.

The main ones are
    HTML email
    EQ in media player
    Fewer battery pulls

(Yes there are more but those are the main 3 off the top of my head)

Give your phone a few months before you up date to a newer OS. By the an official release should be out from your carrier.

If not there are a lot of How-tos on updating.

09-14-08 08:51 AM
    Welcome to CB and BB! Your phone has the latest official OS, but there are 4.5 Betas out there, and an official release is hopefully just around the corner. I would wait until you know your device better before you try and upgrade your OS, but if you don't feel like waiting there are plenty of How-tos on this site, and other places. Good luck, and enjoy your BB!
    09-14-08 08:53 AM
    guys, thanks for all the great information. Wow - this is an awesome resource !!

I agree with your advice - get used to the blackberry first.

One last question - it I just wait for the official release of 4.5 - will it automatically download to my phone ??

thanks again.
    09-14-08 09:14 AM
    One last question - it I just wait for the official release of 4.5 - will it automatically download to my phone ??

thanks again.

No.

Stick with CrackBerry... you will hear about it right here before you will hear about it from Verizon! These guys are QUICK!
    09-14-08 09:23 AM
    You'll have to download and install it for yourself. The Memory Optimization Procedure that I pointed you to earlier will show you where and how to get it for your device when it's available.
    09-14-08 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD