Hi

I'm new here so please bear with me - and yes I did a search for the answer but could not find what I was looking for!

So just got my first Blackberry !

It's a used 8320 on Orange UK network but it will be unlocked to work on O2 UK

The cuurent OS is 4.2.2.184

I want to update teh OS to the current 4.5.xxxx.

Do I have to stick with the Orange OS update, or is there a generic OS that I can flash to the phone. I would like to remove the Orange branding if possible.

Any OS update advise greatly appreciated.

thanks

EliTom
    10-30-09 06:55 AM
    You can upgrade to any OS version you want, regardless of Provider, as long as it is made for your device.... all you need to do is to delete the Vendor.xml file before attempting to install it.
    10-30-09 07:03 AM
    But you cannot remove the carrier branding.
    10-30-09 07:14 AM
    Yes, fatboy and max are right. Check out the latest OS's on the sticky's.
    10-30-09 09:28 AM
    Thanks guys

Max - what do you mean you cannot remove carrier branding. So if I flash with say a Vodafone OS I will see see Orange startup flash screen and Orange application option?

I am used to *cough* HTC WinMo phones where I can flash a generic ROM or an operator / carrier branded ROM onto any phone.

Thanks

EliTom
    10-30-09 09:42 AM
    Just say you have an Orange phone... and you upgrade your phone with the latest T-Mobile OS after you delete the Vendor.xml file... your phone will still show an Orange branding when it starts up... even if you unlock it and move it to Vodafone.
    10-30-09 03:42 PM
    In addition, you will not add or remove any other carrier related applications/functionality by loading an OS from another carrier.

All carrier related functionality (T-Mo My Faves, Sprint TV, etc) are pushed to your BB later via service books.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD