Just got a Curve Tuesday (mainly b/c I was bored and eligible for upgrade, kinda miss my old LG flip phone but I'm a gadget guy and it was time for change).
    Anyways, this isn't a big issue, I was just flipping through Crackberry and went to a 'How To' page on setting up your BlackBerry email? Here's the deal, I somehow (and yes I forgot lol) already have my Yahoo! email account setup on my phone. I mean it's on my desktop and chimes in to let me know I have new mail *which will lead to me 2nd question in a second*.
    I clicked the link to for The Basics of Setting Up Your Blackberry... (something I maybe should've done the day I got it, but I tend to just wing it and learn on the fly) anyways I skipped down to Blackberry Data setup ... went to the Verizon link. Thinking I was registering for the first time, I entered my PIN and the ESN number, it says that PIN is already registered? So I go back to log on and dont' remember a password, had the password sent to my phone and it says no password is available that I need to Register lol..? My question is what the heck am I registering for anyways.. just my own personal Blackberry Email account? If so, i'll stick with my Yahoo!, Hotmail, Gmail accounts lol.
    The second part of this post is about the Yahoo! email I have setup on my desktop. Right now, if I receive an email to my Yahoo! my BlackBerry signals I have (1)New Email.. it also indicates (1) New Message..... i have these two icons next to each other on my 'desktop'. The new message reads whatever the email reads..? What I would prefer, and maybe you can explain how to accomplish this, is to have my email pop up and indicate new mail to that account, and just have my 'Messages' pop up when I receive new Text or Media messages, etc. Is this possible? Defeats the purpose of having my Yahoo! and Messages on the main screen lol.
    Sorry for the NEWB questions, I try to figure this stuff out on my own but this gives me a reason to quit just being a forum prowler. No more post virgin here.
    Thanks in advance,
    Michael
    07-17-08 10:46 PM
    Welcome! Take a look at this. Also check your messege settings while in your messege folder- options>general options. It explains hiding icons etc.

Lecture 4: The Basics of Setting Up Your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    07-17-08 11:07 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    07-17-08 11:15 PM
    Thanks for the help. Was actually setting up my blackberry email account when you were replying lol, got that straight. Now if I can just get my desktop setup the way I want as far as New Message indicators. It's not a huge deal, just me being picky
    Already have tons of pics and songs loaded on it from my laptop and love getting email and facebook updates.
    Only complaint is the Qwerty keyboard, I was quite the 'texter' on my old LG8600 lol, this whole qwerty deal and my non-lady fingers are going to take some getting used to hehe.
    07-17-08 11:21 PM
    Welcome to crackberry! I wish I could help you more I don't know much about Verizon or yahoo email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-08 11:30 PM
    Thanks anyway!
    Not having much luck solving my problem. I would think yahoo has nothing to do with what I'm trying to do though... I simply want my "Messages" icon.. which I have on my desktop to alert me of text messages, to NOT show (1) New Message when I receive an email. I tried going to options and all that but nothing I've changed has had any effect. I just have both icons on the screen and it's rather pointless to have both when opening New Message shows the email lol... I'm just picky and complicated like that though
    07-17-08 11:40 PM
    I''m confused! Are you talking about your main screen on your BB or your Desktop on your computer?
    07-17-08 11:57 PM
    Yikes, I thought I was using proper BB lingo lol... forgive me I'm learning. I mean the BlackBerry main screen. Sorry for the confusion.
    It's really not a big deal, just defeats the purpose of having my Yahoo icon on the main screen if whenever it gets mail I have two icons popping up notifying me the same info
    Again, apologizes for the communication slip-up. It'll get better!
    07-18-08 12:05 AM
    Thanks anyway!
    Not having much luck solving my problem. I would think yahoo has nothing to do with what I'm trying to do though... I simply want my "Messages" icon.. which I have on my desktop to alert me of text messages, to NOT show (1) New Message when I receive an email. I tried going to options and all that but nothing I've changed has had any effect. I just have both icons on the screen and it's rather pointless to have both when opening New Message shows the email lol... I'm just picky and complicated like that though
    Just go to the messages. Its cool, because after you read it in your messages, it automatically shows up as Read in your Yahoo account. You can also delete it there if you want, and gives you an option to delete it from the messages or from the actual account inbox as well.
    07-18-08 12:06 AM
    Welcome to CB.
    07-18-08 12:07 AM
    No problem! I was wondering there for a while. Yeah, if you already have that email going to your device, you might as well delete that yahoo icon. It's prob just taking up extra space too. lol
    07-18-08 12:08 AM
    Oh well, that'll work I guess (if I can't beat it, I'll join it lol).
    Thanks for the quick replies, I'm sure I'll have plenty more dumb questions down the road.
    07-18-08 12:13 AM
    I know exactly what you are talking about though because the double message indicator gets pretty annoying but there are a few things you can do to aleviate this.

Well you can move the icons arround on your home screen with most themes. Just press the BlackBerry/Options button while an icon in highlighted and select move or hide.

Also you can set your messages to be combined or seperated within the options.

That MIGHT be what you were looking for.

07-18-08 12:13 AM
    Wow I gotta learn how to type faster. I'm like 3 minutes late posting that. Lol

07-18-08 12:16 AM
    I tired the combining/seperating option (sounds like it would be the ticket) but no luck. I just moved the yahoo icon off my main screen. Man, the sacrifices I have to make ........sigh.
    07-18-08 12:53 AM
    Yeah I have been changing my theme so often recently that that stuff ends up all over the place anyways. I never know where anything is but it always looks fresh

07-18-08 12:57 AM
    You can separate Txt/MMS messages from emails so that from the home screen you can see that you have either a Txt/MMS or an email. I believe this is what you were looking for. Here's how:

Open Txt/MMS or Messages...
    Click BB button... (make sure on date bar)
    Go to Options...
    General Options...
    Scroll down to see "SMS and Email Boxes"... make your change!

ALSO:

You are registering for your BB Email address.... "[email protected]"
    Everyone who has a BB with whatever subscriber can create their own BB email addy... I suggest simply calling Verizon to straighten out your misunderstanding, verbally. Its that simple... This email account will work just like your Yahoo account...
    Last edited by dchozn1; 07-18-08 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Forgot Info
    07-18-08 12:57 AM
    Also.... to get the Yahoo icon off the main screen...

FROM the main screen... hit BB button... your top row of icons is what appears on your homescreen (usually 5, sometimes 6 icons)... highlight them and click BB button to "MOVE" them from the top row.... this is the resolution to your issue, combined with my previous replies!
    07-18-08 01:08 AM
    Also.... to get the Yahoo icon off the main screen...

FROM the main screen... hit BB button... your top row of icons is what appears on your homescreen (usually 5, sometimes 6 icons)... highlight them and click BB button to "MOVE" them from the top row.... this is the resolution to your issue, combined with my previous replies!
    Thanks for the tips. Already tried to seperate emails and texts through Options, but if both icons are on the main screen, both indicate new messages. It's no biggie, already adjusted my icons around and THINK I've finally got it the way I want it lol. For today at least.

I got my BB email setup last night, my only concern was why it told me that PIN was already registered when I first tried to sign up? Weird.

Boo multiple new message icons, Hooray Beer.
    07-18-08 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD